Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my PC good enough? What configs are the "best"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Maxunit

Dear Dolphin Community,

I recently got into using the Dolphin Emulator, after a mate of mine sold his Gamecube and Wii to switch either to the Xbox 360 and PS3 in the near future. I really missed playing Metroid Prime Trilogy, so I bought it myself and "dumped" it on my HDD.

Anyway, to the actual topic:

I'm still experimenting around with the Dolphin Configs and I'm a Greenhorn/Newblood on this.

You can see my Hardware Info in my profile since I entered it during registration, but here it is as well:

CPU: Intel Quad Core Q8300 2.5 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 OC
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 667 from Corsair

Now my Question is, what the "best"/"perfect" settings would be to get the best performance out of Dolphin for Metroid Prime Trilogy, but still have a good looking game. Example: Internal Resolution 1x Native really looks "Ewww" on my 24" TFT. Right now I use 2x Native. No AA and only 1xAF.

For the DSP I use DSP HLE Emulation (fast) and XAudio2.

Other Settings (Graphics etc):

Renderer is DirectX11
Resolution is 1920x1080 Fullscreen
Scaled EFB Copy
Ignore Format Changes
EFB Copies: Fast
External Frame Buffer: Disabled
Fast MipMaps
Disable Per-Pixel Depth
EFB Copies: Texture

So, I bet there can still be improvements made.

Oh, and I use the newest Dolphin Build 590.

Greetings,

Maxunit Smile
Nvidia GTX 460 can use 4x IR,no AA,16x AF just fine . Your CPU bottleneck that GPU and dolphin only use 2 cores
Overclocking will help (3Ghz+) ! ...However you need to buy aftermarket cooling , aftermarket thermal compound

Maxunit

Thank you for the information Smile

I dunno, if I can actually overclock and I never really did that, since I do not want to fry my CPU Tongue

Then I might have to upgrade my CPU to a Quad Core 3Ghz+ (i7 anyone?).

On another note....Metroid Prime runs with 25 - 35 FPS so far (acceptable in my opinion), but it feels like...really slow sometimes. Is that normal? I mean, PC games with the same FPS do not feel soooooo slow.
If buying a new CPU of a new generation you'll need a new motherboard. Your best choice will most likely be an i5 2500k or more expensive, but with a boost in certain applications, not including dolphin an i7 2600k paired with a z68 or p67 motherboard, unless you want to wait till the end of the month for the ivy bridge equivalent.
i7 is good or not depend on its model . i5 2500k beats all i7 first gen except the extreme edition . i7 2600k and i7 2700k is faster but it's not best bang per buck
+Budget Build : New Z68 or Z77 mobo + Pentium Sandy Bridge G860 (as fast as i3 2100 but it doesn't have Hyper Threading) or i3 2120

_3Ghz i3/i5/i7 2nd gen (Sandy Bridge) is much faster than 3Ghz i3/i5/i7 1st gen (about 20%)
_3Ghz i3/i5/i7 is faster than 3Ghz Core 2 Duo /Core 2 Quad

+Enthusiast Build : New Z68 or Z77 mobo + i5 2500k @ 4.4 , it should be enough for Mario Galaxy,The Last Story ....

Pentium Sandy Bridge , i5 2320 , i5 2500 , i7 2600, i7 2700 (non K ) can not be overclocked
(04-14-2012, 01:51 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Pentium Sandy Bridge , i5 2320 , i5 2500 , i7 2600, i7 2700 (non K ) can not be overclocked

They can, but not in the same way or as well.
By about 5% (with a lot of luck), and it ruins the stability with no way to fix it, no matter what you set the voltage to or how you cool it.
My compouter is
Notebook Acer
operational sistem
Windows® 7 Starter Edition 3-bit
processor
AMD E-Series dual-core processor E-300
(1 MB L2 cache, 1.30 GHz, DDR3 1066 MHz, 18 W) The processor i'll change if necessary
Mother board
AMD A50M
Memory
2GB DDR3
Grafic card
AMD Radeon™ HD 6250 Graphics com 256 MB of memory dedicated

This configuration is good? please answer
Err... well, before you post, pls provide more information. Check this thread out -> http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=22118

btw: This notebook is crap. Too weak for Dolphin Wink
this is the full information.

Screen Size, 15.6 "
Screen Resolution, 1366 x 768
Weight, 2.6
Operating System Windows ® 7 Starter Edition 3-bit
AMD Dual Core E-Series E-300 processor
2GB DDR3 Memory
Size 320 GB HD
Built-in Web Cam Yes
L2 Cache 1 MB L2
How many 5400 RPM
Built-in Microphone Yes
Yes CD-Rom
CD Recorder Yes
DVD Yes
DVD Recorder Yes
Motherboard AMD A50M
Video Card AMD Radeon ™ HD 6250 Graphics with 256 MB of dedicated system memory.
Sound Card High-definition audio support
No Fax Modem Card
Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
No PCMCIA slot
Wireless Yes
Bluetooth not
Multi-gesture Touchpad Mouse
Speakers Stereo speakers
source Bivolt
Voltage Bivolt
ohh, the game than i want play is the New super mario bros.
Pages: 1 2 3