Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Just setting up!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey,
I'm new to all this wii emulation stuff, and I'm still working on setting up dolphin properly. Some of the setting pages on the version I have are a little different to the support pages online, so I'm really just waiting to play the game to try out the different settings for the best results.

But before I waste too much time messing with settings I was wondering how well skyward sword would run on my machine? My specs are listed below. I think thats all you'd need, ( I know a fair bit about computers and hardware etc, but theres still alot I don't know, I don't claim to be any kind of master) If you need any more details let me know.

Also, how would I play the game on my machine. I own an actualy copy of the game, but I have left that at my mothers house so my younger siblings can play the game on the wii console ( which is actually mine, seeing as thiers broke :/ )

See, I don't know anything about the homebrew channel and / or ripping disks or what ever, so I don't know how its done or how easy it is etc. Can it be done simply by putting the game disk in my computer and using software to rip the disk image? Or do I actually need to do something with this homebrew channel and rip it via the wii console?

~Nips~
Since you haven't specified the exact model of your CPU, I'm guessing its the 1075T?
You should be able to play at a playable speed, but I'd recommend that you overclock that CPU a bit.

How do you intend to play the game? I hope you are aware it uses Motionplus.
There are emulated builds available to emulate Motionplus. But ideally, you should play with a real Wiimote.

You can find more information about Skyward Sword, or any game at the wiki.

Quote:Can it be done simply by putting the game disk in my computer and using software to rip the disk image? Or do I actually need to do something with this homebrew channel and rip it via the wii console?
If you have a DVD Drive that is capable of reading a Wii disc you can rip it with Rawdump.
Otherwise, you can rip it from the Wii by using an USB Loader, which usually have an option to dump the disc, or you can install Cleanrip on your Wii and dump it with that.
Aha... yea, my bad, it is the 1075T.

Obviously not being disrespectful, I'll try running it as is and see what it plays like, and then think about OC'ing it a little bit after that. (theres no point overclocking if its reasonable as is.)

and I have a real wii remote and also have motion plus for it. using a usb bluetooth dongle for my pc, but I only have the wii sensor bar.... do I actually need a sensor bar? (from what I read on the dolphin home page it sounded as thought you didn't really need one? Confused)

haven't got a clue if my dvd drive can read wii disks or not, I guess I'll just have to give it a try and find out :p

Ideally, I want to play with my actaul wii, but back at uni, I don't have any where to set it up thats my own (I.E theres only the living room of the shared house with a decent sized TV and that would mean I could only play when the people I live with don't mind.) and besides, till my Mother gets her console fixed (if she ever will) I've left mine for my brother and sister, cos I'm just too nice like that :/

One more question if thats alright, Can I copy saved data from the wii and use it in dolphin? I have my data on an SD, that I have copied to USB (as my pc doesn't have a SD card reader and I don't have an external one)

And thanks for the reply, the input is greatly appreciated!

~Nips~
Sure, best way is to try it out yourself and see if you find it going fast enough.

Quote:do I actually need a sensor bar?
For games that use motion and stuff yes.
For Skyward Sword, definitely.

A sensor bar is just a device that emits enough infrared light for the Wiimote to know its position.
So anything that emits enough infrared light can be used as a sensor bar; candles, christmas lights, etc.

Quote:Can I copy saved data from the wii and use it in dolphin?
Yes you can. You can also do the reverse.

whoa.... hold on 1 second.... so I don't ACTAULLY need a sensor bar, I just something that emits infrared light?
See, I thought with needing a sensor bar, it needed to be plugged into the pc so it could communicate the wii remotes position with the dolphin emulator...

Does that mean the connector on the wii sensor bar is simply for power?

If it doesn't need to be plugged to a computer, then it means I can use some sort of make-shift ghetto sensor device thingy ma bob!?

Greatly appreciate this, I'll have to see what else I could use (I don't fancy the candles idea much)
The TV remotes is an acceptable alternative but I would prefer something a little more... I don't know, permanent I guess, like lamps :p lol

I'll have a look an ask in some other forums for other sources of infrared light emitting sensor bar devices Smile

~Nips~
Candles Big Grin
Okay, I've just tried using the to TV remotes idea.....

It was cak! didn't work at all, the pointer was constantly flickering.... wish I had some candles... I'll have to continue to play around with it tomorrow.... maybe see if I can get a wireless sensor bar or something....

That has me a little miffed, I won't lie ¬_¬ thanks for the help guys so far Smile its been appriciatively recieved

~Nips~
Quote:If you have a DVD Drive that is capable of reading a Wii disc you can rip it with Cleanrip or Rawdump

Cleanrip is actually a Wii app, and in fact is the best Wii dumper app, as it needs no custom IOS files, just a way to launch it (either the homebrew channel or an exploit).

Also, when using TV remotes, did you make sure that they were a sensible distance apart etc., as if you do it right it should work fine.
I made then about as far apart as the wii sensor bar... I have my mothers old wii now that doesn't read disks, I'm usign that to power the bar.

what I want to know now, is how do I play my wii saved games, how do I get them to register and load when I play skyward sword so I can play my current game?
(as opposed to starting again?)
~Nips~
Save the saves to an SD card is the first step.

The second step is not known to me, and may not even exist.

The third step is to do an import Wii save in dolphin, and it should put it in the virtual internal storage, so that games can see it.
Pages: 1 2