Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How seriously do you play games with Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hey, I have never actually played on dolphin above 7 FPS...
So I'm kinda new here Tongue.
I want to ask you guys, how seriously do you play Dolphin?
As in, do you complete entire games on your computer? Do you spend lots of time with this emulator?
Thing is, I read all the time about people saying particular games are "playable" and "not perfect, but pretty good".
Thing is. That isn't good enough for me. I like my games consistent and like the real thing.
It just seems this whole community is pretty much based on development and support (which is actually pretty incredible) and not so much based on actually playing the games...

Fairly off topic:
I have a broken wii and countless unusable games. Money is tight, but the one thing in life I use the most is a computer. It only makes sense that it's a half decent computer.
So, I am saving up. Big time. I sold my lovely two gecko's because keeping them alive was becoming difficult (buying LIVE food imported from accross the world gets expensive).
This lack of money means I can't afford a new Wii. I have binned my old wii and am left with these games.
I could 1) sell it
Or 2) use my computer...
But would you say dolphin is a true substitute?
I've heard particular games are almost impossible to be played even with incredible specs... For example I've heard Hyrule field is incredibly heavy in SS...

EDIT: So you know, not looking for direct answers - just general discussion about game completion and stuff...
(04-07-2012, 01:58 PM)Coral Beef Wrote: [ -> ]Hey, I have never actually played on dolphin above 7 FPS...

You obviously don't have a good PC or you don't know what you're doing.

(04-07-2012, 01:58 PM)Coral Beef Wrote: [ -> ]I want to ask you guys, how seriously do you play Dolphin?

Very seriously.

(04-07-2012, 01:58 PM)Coral Beef Wrote: [ -> ]As in, do you complete entire games on your computer?

Yes.

(04-07-2012, 01:58 PM)Coral Beef Wrote: [ -> ]Thing is, I read all the time about people saying particular games are "playable" and "not perfect, but pretty good".

It depends.

(04-07-2012, 01:58 PM)Coral Beef Wrote: [ -> ]Thing is. That isn't good enough for me. I like my games consistent and like the real thing.

If you have a brain and a good PC, you can get good results. If you don't have both, use your Wii.

(04-07-2012, 01:58 PM)Coral Beef Wrote: [ -> ]It just seems this whole community is pretty much based on development and support (which is actually pretty incredible) and not so much based on actually playing the games...

It's seems like the community is mostly about support because there are so many clueless people asking the same questions 100's of times.
Star, I'm aware that my computer is a load of crap, I'm talking about future. I'm building a new computer.
Thanks for the reply though.
It's too bad there isn't a stronger "user" community here, but I guess there's probably hundreds of Wii forums out there.
It's astonishing how active this forum is, and really how much support goes on. In a lot of open source program forums, it's nornmally pretty awful to get help... But of somebody has a problem here - as long as they're not being mentally retarded about it, and are posting all info, their case will almost always get resolved... Pretty neat.
Quote: Hey, I have never actually played on dolphin above 7 FPS...

Your profile says you have a 2500k or did you change that recently?
Quote:Thing is, I read all the time about people saying particular games are "playable" and "not perfect, but pretty good".
Thing is. That isn't good enough for me. I like my games consistent and like the real thing.
Unless you have a decent computer, you're likely to get such responses.
Which particular games? Most well known games work flawlessly.

Quote:It just seems this whole community is pretty much based on development and support (which is actually pretty incredible) and not so much based on actually playing the games...
You've clearly missed the game discussion forum, which is now nicely divided in its own categories: Wii, Gamecube. You'll find a lot of threads dedicated to games there and people discussing what works/doesn't work. Check it out.

Quote:But would you say dolphin is a true substitute?
I've heard particular games are almost impossible to be played even with incredible specs... For example I've heard Hyrule field is incredibly heavy in SS...
Dolphin is way more than that, if the game is well supported that is.
Don't you mean TP? Once again, if you have a decent rig, you should be able to get playable speeds there.
TP+Hyrule Field is nowhere as heavy as Mario Galaxy with LLE FYI.

Quote:It's too bad there isn't a stronger "user" community here, but I guess there's probably hundreds of Wii forums out there.
The user community is incredibly strong here. There's tons of regular users that help out others and tons of threads that share experiences with games.
You should also bookmark this wiki link, which is a compatibility list for Dolphin.

(04-07-2012, 01:58 PM)Coral Beef Wrote: [ -> ]I want to ask you guys, how seriously do you play Dolphin?
Not at all.. Big Grin

(04-07-2012, 01:58 PM)Coral Beef Wrote: [ -> ]As in, do you complete entire games on your computer?
Nope.

(04-07-2012, 01:58 PM)Coral Beef Wrote: [ -> ]Do you spend lots of time with this emulator?
Yes :/

(04-07-2012, 01:58 PM)Coral Beef Wrote: [ -> ]But would you say dolphin is a true substitute?
Nope, far from that. Then again it's not primarily meant to be a substitute, anyway.
neobrain Wrote:
Coral Beef Wrote:But would you say dolphin is a true substitute?
Nope, far from that. Then again it's not primarily meant to be a substitute, anyway.
Game Emulators are used for preview and testing purposes and should never be used to actually play games Big Grin
Noo I must disagree with ya there Zee, playing on Dolphin is the only way to see my old beloved GC games on 4x the internal resolution, and I do enjoy playing them until some bug or crash makes me come here to find info about the problem.

Anyways,l I agree to both neobrain and Starscream's answers, which of them apply depends just on the day/time. Sometimes I just wan't to play and have some fun, sometimes I want to mess around with the settings and find solutions to my problems, and sometimes I want to have fun messing with the settings and finding solutions to my probs. And I think many people here behave just this way. We're both a support and player/user community at the same time. Big Grin

@Coral Beef
Just visit the Games and Delfino Plaza Sections, you'll see the user community is strong Tongue
Also, youtube has plenty of videos from the community.
Sorry i should have put that in a quote, i actually read that a long time ago about the actual use of emulators but i didnt mean that thats how it is, its was a while back but now emulators have become quite advanced and improved since that time but i think the rule still stands today but nobody follows it....
Actually that applies to some emulators, it is something that is said when noobs are being too ... nooby, and the devs want to shut them up. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5