Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: witch one
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi i am in the market for a new laptop and i was hoping you guys could help me choose. My fav system is the game cube and i wanted to get a computer that would be strong enough to run dolphin at full speed.
my choices are (im trying to keep everything as cheap as possible)
some computer at wall-mart that has a i7 processor 6Gb of DDR 3 memory and intel hd graphics 3000 witch costs around $650.00

unfortunately im still learning about computers so all i could do is copy and past the specs from the websites T_T

the I7 has
Intel Core i7-2640M processor
2.80GHz, 4MB Cache
6GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
Gives you the power to handle most power hungry applications and tons of multimedia work
500GB hard drive
Store 333,000 photos, 142,000 songs or 263 hours of HD video and more
DVD-RW
Watch movies, and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats
Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a Wi-Fi signal or hotspot with the 802.11b/g/n connection built into your PC

The I5 has
2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-2450M processor (2.50 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.10 GHz)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
15.6" HD (1366x768) Truelife WLED Display with Skype-Certified 2.0MP HD Webcam
6GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M 1GB graphics with Optimus
1 Year Basic Support
6.14 lbs

Thank you in advanced XD
Pls give us more information about the CPU. i7 and i5 says me nothing, there are many i7s and i5s ^^
(04-07-2012, 04:00 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Pls give us more information about the CPU. i7 and i5 says me nothing, there are many i7s and i5s ^^

i edited my original post unfortunately im still learning about computers so all i could do is copy and past the specs from the websites T_T
Has the notebook with the i7 a NVIDIA or AMD GPU? Or just an Intel integrated graphic?

If it has an integrated Intel GPU, get the notebook with the i5
(04-07-2012, 04:22 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Has the notebook with the i7 a NVIDIA or AMD GPU? Or just an Intel integrated graphic?

If it has an integrated Intel GPU, get the notebook with the i5

ok thank you so much
but note: Don't expect too much. Some games like SMG, SMG2, F-Zero GX, TLOZ Twilight Princess etc. won't run fullspeed because they're heavy games.

SMG and SMG2 even need an overclocked (4.4 GHz) Core i5-2500k to run on fullspeed.
But you do need to be close to that for the others in his list.

If you decide to do more research before buying remember:

your best bet is sandy bridge (even above a slightly faster one from a previous generation)

Dolphin only uses two cores (three if LLE on thread is used) so don't assume an i7 beats an i5

Processor speed is important, but a powerful GPU is less important.