Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Would this be usable..?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The FXAA mod http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=131

It can be used for a wide variety of other games as well as Skyrim & the results can be quite dramatic.

any thoughts..?
(04-05-2012, 10:04 AM)Gir Wrote: [ -> ]I find FXAA a Gimmick
I love how that totally answered his question!

Anyway, that particular thing probably is useless, but it's fairly easy to implement fxaa by other means in dolphin. But then again, it has been fairly easy to do that for months and no one cared to actually do it so I don't expect anyone to come up with an implementation anytime soon either.
(04-05-2012, 10:04 AM)Gir Wrote: [ -> ]I find FXAA a Gimmick

Well 'Gimmick' or not it's made a significant difference in both Skyrim & KOA Reckoning for me, horses for courses I guess..
I'll try with Dolphin & report back if anyone is interested and if of course if there is anything to report.

FXAA injector works only on 32bits versions of dolphin with DX9 backend (for DX11 only work the SMAA )

Personally i don't like the Skyrim mod i use this one.

http://www.assembla.com/spaces/fxaa-pp-inject/documents

is easy to config.

And about if it is a gimmick or not a gimmick who cares if it works?, hope, love, even REALITY are gimmicks and no 1 cares Tongue, why we should care about FXAA and others post-process AA if they do their work?
Quote:I find FXAA a Gimmick

You're either implying that:
1. pixel shaders are a gimmick
2. AA is a gimick
3. signal processing is a gimmick

All of which would be extremely poor arguments to make.

Quote:I love how that totally answered his question!

Take a look at his post history. He produces similar style responses on a pretty consistent basis.

@Everyone else

I've talked about FXAA a lot here on the forums if you do some searching but let me talk about post-processing AA being applied to dolphin in general.

FXAA injectors work with d3d9, openGL, and d3d11 backends (assuming you use a good version like the one timothy lottes wrote) with 32 bit dolphin builds. They only work with 32 bit application because of the injector hook that they need to use to work. Many custom versions exist, including SMAA (which i don't like because it sharpens stuff too much in my opinion). The skyrim mod you listed is one such injector, not a very good one though.

Nvidia has built in FXAA support in its drivers for geforce 8 - 500 series cards. This can be turned on by using a 3rd party control panel such as nvidia inspector. This will work with both 32 bit and 64 bit dolphin builds but will only work with the openGL backend.

HD5000/HD6000 series cards from amd support MLAA 1.0. This works with d3d9/openGL/d3d11 on 32 bit and 64 bit builds but isn't anywhere near as good.

HD7000 series cards from amd support MLAA 2.0. Which is actually surprisingly good. It works with d3d9/openGL/d3d11 on 32 bit and 64 bit builds.

Finally, there is the idea of adding FXAA source code into dolphins source code as a post-processing shader. This would enable pretty much anybody to take advantage of FXAA in dolphin. By the way the quality scales with IR, so it's really only useful if you have a good GPU and you're able to use a high IR. This would be fairly easy to do since FXAA source code is highly configurable and easily integrates with any application that uses HLSL and/or GLSL. The GLSL implementations that are publicly available on the web tend to be inferior. This might be a problem for dolphins openGL backend since if I recall dolphin's openGL backend uses CGSL. However it should be easy to integrate into the d3d9 and d3d11 backends in the master build, but nobody wants to do it.

fxaa is awesome, almost null performance hit, i love it in every game, or using the injector, it is like some sort of 3x msaa without frame rate hit

(04-06-2012, 10:25 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]If you happen to own an nvidia geforce 600/700 series card

Typo?
Nope. The only 600 series card out right now is the GTX 680 but more are on the way. And the 700 series will be coming out soon (GK110 based cards).
Wikipedia Wrote:A gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature.
I hated the blurring Quincunx did then and I hate the blurring FXAA/MLAA do now. To me if MSAA is available then FXAA falls under the last sentence. Different strokes for different folks though so I wouldn't be against it for those that don't mind the blurring.
"little relevance or use", the use is to remove aliasing, which is very relevant.
"Unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries", nearly every game developer now uses it. It's the future of AA.

There is no reason not to use it in dolphin considering:
1. The performance penalty is way lower than MSAA or SSAA, especially in dolphin
2. SSAA is broken anyways
3. MSAA is not supported in the d3d9 backend, which is by far the most popular video backend
4. Quality scales with IR. At 3x/4x IR there is zero blur and quality is similar to 4x MSAA. But it's faster than 4xMSAA and works with d3d9, therefore making it the best option.
Pages: 1 2