Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Making heads and tails of all the different Dolphin builds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone! Im really curious as to why there are multiple builds of Dolphin.Whats the difference between the master build,the "dirty" builds, and FIFObusy builds?
1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 are the official releases.

Dirty builds are non-official releases (compiled by any old person) of different versions, for example 3.0 - 123 dirty would be a revision made as an update, which should, in theory be better than 3.0, but may have added bugs, which was compiled by a person who dolphin aren't responsible for.

The number of the revision, for example 7890, or 3.0 123 indicates the individual version, and in theory higher is better.

Other builds such as fifobusy are to fix problems which do not affect everyone, and usually are less true to the actual wii, so are not officially implemented.
Since this is an open project, many people can build the source code on their own, with or without modifications. I'm not aware of all the builds, but there's an official (master?) build (3.0) in the main Dolphin site along with the latest SVNs builds.

I'm not sure about what exactly are the "dirty" or FIFObusy builds, but those and many others are modified sources that are compiled by third persons.
dirty = the person who created the built made some local changes to the upstream source code. Basically boils down to "This build is unsupported, if you've got problems we don't care".

FIFObusy = branch build. I guess you'll want to read a bit about Git and branches to understand what that means.
Excellent,thank all of you for your replies.It is appreciated Smile
(03-22-2012, 03:18 AM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]dirty = the person who created the built made some local changes to the upstream source code. Basically boils down to "This build is unsupported, if you've got problems we don't care".

I'm curious as to why Mamario's automated Win32 Git builds (on the "official" website) are marked as "dirty" as well, especially since the "About Dolphin" window doesn't seem to contain any local modifications...
We don't know, especially since it has been almost impossible to get hold of mamario via email (not to mention irc) in the past months.
If we can't get hold of them, are we sure that it is a good idea to be relying on them for the actual website's builds? I don't know of the history of them or anything, but it seems a sensible management decision to keep in contact with people who do stuff for you, however menial. While I'm at it this is probably the best opportunity to ask why the newest build is nearly a fortnight old. Is it just that the devs have made no useful progress recently, or has something broken down somewhere? It just seems a bit odd to me that the builds were about daily, and then suddenly they're not.
I could start making my builds more "normal" Big Grin
^^ An Opportunist i see Big Grin
Pages: 1 2