Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Just wondering if this mini pc will run dolphin.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Rick7C2

Hello,

I was just wondering if this mini pc will run dolphin.

http://www.xtreamer.net/ultra2/

My goal is to have an all in one entertainment center.

I want to run XBMC media center along with multiple game emulators.
I know I will have no problem running the other emulators just worried about dolphin.

If it will not run dolphin out of the box will I be able to upgrade the ram etc to make it run smoothly?

If this will not work do you know if there are any other similar computers that will do what I need?

Also I plan on having the games stored on my home server with Gigabit network. Will I have any problems loading the games over the network without any lag?

Regards,
Rick

Games will run, but they will be far too slow. You're going to have to get something really decent to use this emulator. An i5 or i7 CPU is best.
(03-19-2012, 10:28 AM)Rick7C2 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

I was just wondering if this mini pc will run dolphin.

http://www.xtreamer.net/ultra2/

My goal is to have an all in one entertainment center.

I want to run XBMC media center along with multiple game emulators.
I know I will have no problem running the other emulators just worried about dolphin.

If it will not run dolphin out of the box will I be able to upgrade the ram etc to make it run smoothly?

If this will not work do you know if there are any other similar computers that will do what I need?

Also I plan on having the games stored on my home server with Gigabit network. Will I have any problems loading the games over the network without any lag?

Regards,
Rick

Atom Processors are extremely slow and useless, even for emulating 16bit machines, don't even bother. Just build your own HTPC
from scratch.

I built my own HTPC with
this case, http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/1080.jpg, fits under my TV Cabinet
and runs many GC/Wii Games full speed.

Gigabit Network will work fine, more if its wired

I have netbook with N570 CPU - it runs NeoGeo, CPS-1,2 SNES, NES, Genesis games at full speed, even CPS-3 is playable, but... when it comes to dual 68k games in MAME it sucks - yeah it just can't run Afterburner II at full speed, and it can run only a few PSX games with pSX emulator or ePSXe at playable speeds. So Atom + Dolphin = slide show, i think even Gradius ReBirth that runs with 450% speed on my old PC (A64 3500+ @3GHz, GF6600GT AGP) won't reach 5fps.
Cedar Trail is the newest Atom chip (3rd gen - 32nm - 2.13Ghz ) and Nvidia GT 520M should be enough for some gamecube games at 480p
Emulator such as dolphin require a good cooling... So beware overheating
Doubt it. Even cedar trails performance per clock is still only equivalent to a pentium D.
Tested MAME with cedar trail CPU, still no full speed in some dual 68k games, still no full speed in UMK3, and still no full speed in Final Fantasy IX in pSX emulator, games are playable, but... Pentium III 1400 runs FFIX at full speed. So FPU is still a bit weak.

Cedar trail is only about 2 times faster than N570 in most apps, not enough even for heavy N64 games.