Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What do I need to upgrade....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

stuntsy99

Hi,

I think it's the integrated GPU thats causing the slowdowns, but I'm not sure. Mario Kart Wii is averaging around 40fps (PAL game/50Hz mode).

Note that this was built as a HTPC, so dont scrutinize me in the first place for having an integrated GPU Big Grin.

Specs:

Intel i3-2100 (3.1GHz, 2 cores, 4 threads)
Intel HD 2000 (I'm guessing this is where the problem is...)
8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
Dolphin 3.0-432 Lectrode ICC x64 (AVX instruction set?)

The task manager shows all 4 threads hovering around 50-60% (in game), if it helps.

Thanks!

EDIT: Apologies, don't know how it got to the Development section. Please move this to Hardware!!!
You need a new GPU Big Grin

Nullav

Definitely the GPU. I'd suggest a Radeon HD 6850 if you're on a budget. (Got my Sapphire for $130, IIRC.)
Aside from the GPU, that build should be fine for all but a few of the games that need DSP-LLE.
Get AMD 7000 series (28nm) or wait for Nvidia Kepler 600 series (28nm) instead
With 72Gb/s memory bandwidth AMD 7750(109$) can do 4x Internal Resolution (2560x2112)

stuntsy99

Ok thanks for the suggestions.

The AMD 7750 looks like a good choice at this stage - I might see if there's a fanless version of it (or get something around that mark, I would only ever need to go to 720p internal IR at most).

Its a custom made case (all made by me Big Grin) so I think the length of the 6850 is going to be a problem anyway... and just by looking at it, that thing would sound like a jet plane compared to the rest of the system Tongue