Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Upgrading components = performance gain..?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm just about to get a 2nd HD 5870 & run them in Crossfire.
I can currently run most things OK on my i7 920 3.45Ghz (OC) with 2x/3x and sometimes 4x (depending on the game) I'm also getting 6Gb..? more memory (haven't decided exactly how much yet) currently i have 6Gb and plan to further overclock my CPU to 4Ghz & as far as stably go beyond as soon my new cooler arrives, based on all that how much of a performance boost could i expect to see in Dolphin..?

Thanks.
The overclock is the only thing that will boost performance. The rest will have no effect on Dolphin whatsoever.
Dolphin only use 1 GPU and 1 CPU , say no to crossfire or sli
Actually sli and xfire support dolphin but it still wont give him any improvements
(03-15-2012, 06:24 PM)Zee530 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually sli and xfire support dolphin but it still wont give him any improvements
in other words
not supported
Also buying RAM won't help dolphin. You won't need more than 2GB, unless you have efb copies to ram, in which case it is about 2.3GB you need (so effectively 3GB at most, ever).
Quote:You won't need more than 2GB, unless you have efb copies to ram, in which case it is about 2.3GB you need (so effectively 3GB at most, ever).

2GB is way more than enough regardless of whether you use efb copy to ram. And efb copy to ram doesn't use a lot of space in main memory since ram copies are always stored at native resolution no matter what you set the internal resolution to.
OK, then, 2GB is also definitely enough. (My estimate was deliberately very over the top, as 2GB often isn't enough for other everyday uses, and ram is cheap, so it won't harm to get more.)
4GB windows 7
3GB Vista
2GB XP
To be on the safe side
(03-17-2012, 03:05 AM)Zee530 Wrote: [ -> ]4GB windows 7
3GB Vista
2GB XP
To be on the safe side

Vista and 7 should be the same.
Pages: 1 2