Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My setup / settings??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

FenceMan

My current setup:

AMD Phenom II X4 940(OC'ed to 3.7GHz)
4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800
1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB PCI Express Video Card
Windows 7 x 64 bit running Dolphin x64

Questions:

1. Should I be able to use decent enhancements with this setup?

Right now I can run New Super Mario Brothers at 3x native full speed but any AA or AF seems to slow it way down. I can run Super Mario Galaxy at about 2x resolution, 3x or any AA / AF slows it way down, does this sound right?

2. Will using water cooling and trying to stretch CPU to 3.8 or 3.9 help or would I need to update my GPU?

3. Kind of off the subject but in the interest of not starting additional topics, is Gamecube widescreen hack not working latest version? I cant get it working but I have seen youtube videos of people using it (have tried Super Mario Sunshine and Zelda so far)?

4. Should I be running a certain build of the emulator? I just went to the download page and got the most current but I keep seeing posts from ExtremeDude2 saying to download a better build, is there anything to that?

Thanks in advance.
1. thats normal
some games are heavier to AA then other...
(in xenoblade i can play fine with 3x IR and AA... but opening the menu the fps gets down to 50% due to AA)

2. dont waste your money...
every sandybridge cpu outperforms that cpu with stock clock

3. widescreen hack is somehow deprecated
its only causes glitches and problems
some games are working some not...
just stay at normal 4:3

FenceMan

(03-14-2012, 05:01 AM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]2. dont waste your money...
every sandybridge cpu outperforms that cpu with stock clock

Well besides buying a new computer, is there anything I should try to improve on my system? Overclocking further will not help? New video card would not help? Different build of emu would not help?

Do I have a "bottleneck" somewhere?

(03-14-2012, 04:55 AM)FenceMan Wrote: [ -> ]I keep seeing posts from ExtremeDude2 saying to download a better build,

lol wut
You've probably advised someone at some point that a game is more compatible with a certain build.
(03-14-2012, 06:45 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]You've probably advised someone at some point that a game is more compatible with a certain build.

I know, but I was hoping for a link Big Grin

FenceMan

(03-14-2012, 09:01 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-14-2012, 06:45 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]You've probably advised someone at some point that a game is more compatible with a certain build.

I know, but I was hoping for a link Big Grin

Still dont understand why your build could be faster, can you explain??

He's probably recommending outdated builds with less compatibility which also happen to be faster though.
(03-14-2012, 10:11 AM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]He's probably recommending outdated builds with less compatibility which also happen to be faster though.

No, he saying that my builds (that I build XD) are faster and he is wondering why.

(03-14-2012, 09:45 AM)FenceMan Wrote: [ -> ]Still dont understand why your build could be faster, can you explain??

Because I use flags (proper term?) that most people don't that should make it faster.
1. Yes.
2. No. You need a better cpu architecture.
3. Not sure (I'm too lazy to test it right now). It works in 3.0 though, which is the latest official version.
4. Either use 3.0 or use the latest.
Pages: 1 2