Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i5-2430 & GTX560m - good enough for gamecube emulation?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Kamaji

I'm not to picky about anything other then framerate so even if things are only possible in native resolution w/o AA and such things would be okay.

Games i'm looking to play: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Paper Mario: TTYD & other Gamecube games.

Toshiba Qosmio x770-124 specs (my laptop)

1600x900p screen
Intel i5-2430m - 2.4 ghz (3.0ghz in turbo mode?)
4gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M - 1.5gb GDDR5

Grateful for any answers!

PS: is PCSX2 More demanding than Gamecube emulation?
I'm not an expert when it comes to laptops, but I think you should be able to play a lot of GC games just fine. As long as you make sure to take advantage of that turbo mode, you shouldn't have any problems with most games.

As for PCSX2, I've not tried it yet, but I hear that PCSX2 has a lot more speed hacks than Dolphin. I've noticed some people coming here asking why they can play PS2 games just fine on their computers, but GC games are harder to run. It all depends on the options and configs you have in each emulator though.
Yeah, that should get you decent results on most games as long as you don't go crazy with the settings. Last night, I tested out Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on my laptop and was getting a solid 30fps with native resolution, no AA, AF etc. Here are its specs, which are crap.

Intel Core i3 @ 2.3 Ghz
Intel HD 2000 onboard graphics (seriously)
4GB RAM

So yeah, you should be good for at least 2x internal res.

Increasing the internal resolution and other things in the enhancements tab is much more GPU heavy than CPU heavy, and I really don't think a GTX560, even the mobile version, won't be the bottleneck when you're CPU is only 2.4 GHz. You may find that you can have a high internal resolution, plus plenty of anti aliasing etc. without a significant, if at all noticeable drop in speed.
That laptop should be just fine for what you're trying to do.

Kamaji

Thanks a lot for the answers. I tried it yesterday and according to what i've played so far the cpu/gpu seems able to play it at 30 solid fps up to 2x the internal resolution at least. The only thing that is stopping me from trying it's limit is heat. At 2x internal resolution the cpu goes upwards to ~80 degrees which i've heard is a limit that shouldn't be exceeded. I need to get a cooling pad or something to try it out further.

Cheers
(03-13-2012, 10:45 PM)Kamaji Wrote: [ -> ]At 2x internal resolution the cpu goes upwards to ~80 degrees which i've heard is a limit that shouldn't be exceeded. I need to get a cooling pad or something to try it out further.

Cheers

My god , i thought the gaming laptop ( Qosmio series) would have the better cooling solution than mine .
Guess i can't avoid modifying my next laptop