Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Huge fps increase with little overclocking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This completely blew me away. I started messing with dolphin recently but was only getting 4fps in new super Mario. I overclocked my processor just from 2.1 to 2.3 and now I get 50-60! How can this be possible? Is this normally seen with such a small bump?

Sounds weird. Undo the overclock and check if it drops back to 4.
Goes right back to 4-12fps. I turned it up a little more to 2.35 with no diff in performance. Everywhere I read says my CPU should easily go to 3ghz but even at 2.5 it will freeze on the bios screen. I have the voltage set to 1.4 and the fsb raised to 287. That's all I changed. When I bump the CPU multiplier up to 9 from 8 it just resets back to 8 once I restart the computer.
could you do a cpu benchmark?
normal clock
overclock?

it sounds more like that your cpu is underclocked due to energy options...
(03-07-2012, 07:20 AM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]could you do a cpu benchmark?
normal clock
overclock?

it sounds more like that your cpu is underclocked due to energy options...

Yea I will do that when I get home from class tonight.

How come when I look at system properties in windows it says my cpu speed is 2.13 2.33? Like it lists both numbers one after another. Is that because I only oc'd one of the two cores?
(03-07-2012, 08:34 AM)Cheefa Wrote: [ -> ]How come when I look at system properties in windows it says my cpu speed is 2.13 2.33? Like it lists both numbers one after another. Is that because I only oc'd one of the two cores?

Yep
(03-07-2012, 09:02 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-07-2012, 08:34 AM)Cheefa Wrote: [ -> ]How come when I look at system properties in windows it says my cpu speed is 2.13 2.33? Like it lists both numbers one after another. Is that because I only oc'd one of the two cores?

Yep

Well damn! That is interesting. This is my first attempt at overclocking. Had no idea that could happen and I didn't see anything in the bios that would note I had to do the cores separate.
the properties in windows settings dont change when overclocking...?
or am i wrong?
my i7 is still stated with stock clock
(03-07-2012, 09:09 AM)Cheefa Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-07-2012, 09:02 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]

Yep

Well damn! That is interesting. This is my first attempt at overclocking. Had no idea that could happen and I didn't see anything in the bios that would note I had to do the cores separate.

Oh sorry I thought you were saying you DID only overclock 1 core so I dunno then :/
New mario bros is quite easy to emulate but 4-12fps is too small, try putting it back to 2.1 and run dolphin with cpu-z and make sure 2.1ghz is actually being used cause even my t2400 @ 1.83 is capable of 30-40fps in new mario bros
Pages: 1 2