Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Rules of the Hardware Section
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This forum is for general Dolphin related hardware chat. However, we're being flooded with tons of newcomers asking the same questions time and time again each day. To keep this place from becoming a random shoutbox without any informative content, we'd like to ask you to keep in mind the following rules:

Taken from the Global Forum Rules:

Quote:When creating new threads about Dolphin, always provide your full PC specs (CPU, RAM, GPU, Operating System), information about the Dolphin build used (version/revision, source, etc), Dolphin settings and detailed description of what you're trying to do (e.g including the name of the game you tried to run and a screenshot/video of the issue if necessary). Ignoring this rule will get your thread closed and have you warned off.

Look around before you create a thread. This applies especially to the "Will my PC be powerful enough to run Dolphin?" type of threads. You're expected to figure out that Dolphin needs a pretty powerful CPU to handle Dolphin on your own; if you come around and create a thread asking if your Pentium 4 will handle Super Mario Galaxy, your thread will be merciless closed.

Hardware buying advice is fine-ish. The rule above applies here as well; if you come around and ask "I'm going to buy a PC soon with these parts:" and your setup is clearly unsuitable for Dolphin, your thread will be closed without warning. If you make sure your thread looks like you've done some research before, you should be fine though.

Don't list your specs and then run off. Listing your specs (PC hardware information) and then asking what speeds you should expect would not be a valid post. Other things are needed from you, like exactly which games you want to play and what level of graphic detail you want or expect. Depending on the game, full-speed can be achieved on an average PC or the game could need a PC that is very powerful. It's not a simple all yes or all no answer (unless your PC is really outdated), so give more details when you post.

All threads which come across like "Hey there, I've got a question and have no time to figure it out myself, please do that for me!!!" will be closed without warning.

General hardware talk without any relation to Dolphin should be done in Delfino Plaza (our off-topic section).

Keep in mind that we're strictly enforcing these rules for newcomers. However, that also means if you hang around here often and help other people out, we'll likely be more permissive about the quality of threads you create. Of course, that does not mean advanced users can do whatever they like Wink
Added this line:

Don't list your specs and then run off. Listing your specs (PC hardware information) and then asking what speeds should you expect would not be a valid post. Other things are needed from you, like exactly which games you want to play and what level of graphic detail you want or expect. Depending on the game, full-speed can be achieved on an average PC or the game could need a PC that is very powerful. It's not a simple all yes or all no answer (unless your PC is really outdated), so give more details when you post.

All I can say is thank you for this, it's needed.

It's common sense really but I hope it will reduce a lot of unnecessary threads and posts which will relive some painful work for you.
Yeah, i'm sure this can reduce the amount of useless threads like this -> http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=22688

and if i see a thread such as this, i'll report it. *Like a Boss* Cool
Yup. Of course, people might just not follow the rules, but then there thread would be deleted and they will get banned.
Again with the random bumps >.>
He said previously it was because he wanted to up his post count, which is just plain wrong. At least when DefenderX does it he doesn't make it as obvious.

SuperFunnyBros

As a newcomer, I fell into the trap on my first post; live and learn.
Yep, I remember your thread. It's good, that you managed to read the rules Wink Not everyone does it.
"edit"

removed my post
Pages: 1 2