Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: This forum section
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think some people would rather that this forum section not be here at all. It is annoying that random people come here and ask time after time if their PC is good enough to run Dolphin, but I think it's going to happen no matter what. People are going to ask these questions even if this section were gone, at least now there is a place to put all these threads instead of having them all over the forum. Personally it doesn't matter to me. What matters most is forum organization and what the majority think is best.

What do you think? Should this forum section stay or should it be removed? Please vote.
Personally, I think it's kinda useful. My first thread here on the Dolphin forums was about how well my computer would handle GC/Wii emulation, though it was before this section existed. Still, people who are buying new rigs, don't want to take a guess at what's capable hardware. Money can be a sensitive issue, either in overspending or underspending (and getting a weak computer). It's nice to have people who know what they are talking about give you detailed info on what's good and what's bad (well, some responses are pretty terse... but still). I voted for "doesn't matter", but I think it makes organizational sense.

I think we just need to have strict rules (e.g. post all relevant info), encourage searching first, and promote the wiki as a guide when looking at specific games. Perhaps, given how much we know about Dolphin's performance, some one could compile a rough guide (and I mean rough) on what sort of hardware is necessary to reach certain levels of performance. I know that sounds pretty grand, but it doesn't have to be all-encompassing or totally comprehensive, just enough to give noobs an idea of what their system is generally capable of. It might lead to more detailed questions than "can xyz run Dolphin?". Just a thought.

One more thing, I think we should encourage trying to run Dolphin first and foremost! Seems like too many people have the hardware already, but for some reason don't bother to test it first.
The description of the forum: "Is my PC good enough to run Dolphin? Ask about it here."

Somehow, I don't buy the original complaint.
If we could only get people to search, this section would be more organized, i've seen alot of cases where people ask how their specs work and moving on to the next thread somebody with almost exactly the same rig asks the same question, we just need to somehow get people to search but then again "Is my PC good enough to run Dolphin? Ask about it here.", needs to be changed to something else.
(03-06-2012, 01:33 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Personally, I think it's kinda useful. My first thread here on the Dolphin forums was about how well my computer would handle GC/Wii emulation, though it was before this section existed. Still, people who are buying new rigs, don't want to take a guess at what's capable hardware. Money can be a sensitive issue, either in overspending or underspending (and getting a weak computer). It's nice to have people who know what they are talking about give you detailed info on what's good and what's bad (well, some responses are pretty terse... but still). I voted for "doesn't matter", but I think it makes organizational sense.

I think we just need to have strict rules (e.g. post all relevant info), encourage searching first, and promote the wiki as a guide when looking at specific games. Perhaps, given how much we know about Dolphin's performance, some one could compile a rough guide (and I mean rough) on what sort of hardware is necessary to reach certain levels of performance. I know that sounds pretty grand, but it doesn't have to be all-encompassing or totally comprehensive, just enough to give noobs an idea of what their system is generally capable of. It might lead to more detailed questions than "can xyz run Dolphin?". Just a thought.

One more thing, I think we should encourage trying to run Dolphin first and foremost! Seems like too many people have the hardware already, but for some reason don't bother to test it first.

I agree with that. Anyway I suppose a lot of guys try Dolphin even if they were told their system wasn't powerful enough.

For the subject : If you visit the site for the first time you can easily guess what "hardware" is about. If someone comes for this kind of question he's gonna post in there so I guess that section should be kept
It does keep some spam from other sections where questions like "will my pc handle dolphin?" don't really fit.

I stickied a rules thread which ideally should reflect our official policy regarding spam-ish threads. I still have hope left that there are people who actually read stickied threads, all other threads can be mercilessly closed anyway.
I was thinking, how about making a similar thread such as this one starscream made http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=22150 people can post their specs and post screenshots of games they have and users wanting to know how their pc specs will handle can check the page and also search it for someone that has similar specs to theirs rather than creating new ones, if we could properly implement this it should go a long way in keeping the section clean and spam free
50% of all threads are people complaining about hardware and speed...
50% bullshit