Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

SauloOnofre

The emulator performance is a little weird. No matter if I put in the lower ou the highest resolution it doesn't affect the FPS. I'm trying to improve donkey kong country returns FPS but with no success. The only thing that changes the performance is A.A,if I put in 9x it makes the game unplayable.I'm using the Direct3D9 backend, Is that normal?
My spec is:
Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.20GH
4,00 GB RAM
Geforce 250 GTS 512MB
(03-01-2012, 01:30 PM)SauloOnofre Wrote: [ -> ]No matter if I put in the lower ou the highest resolution it doesn't affect the FPS.

Then that means your graphics card isn't the bottleneck, when it comes to internal resolution. If you don't get drops in FPS, then your GPU is good enough for those internal resolutions. For Dolphin, your GPU determines the maximum internal resolution (without taking a performance hit), anti-aliasing, and anisotropic filtering (most cards are more than capable of 16x though). The rest of Dolphin's performance usually lies with your CPU.

(03-01-2012, 01:30 PM)SauloOnofre Wrote: [ -> ]The only thing that changes the performance is A.A,if I put in 9x it makes the game unplayable.

Yeah, your GPU is capable of high internal resolutions, but it looks like high AA settings are too much for it. A lower internal resolution with that AA setting might be possible and preferable in your case, since you could at least play the game.

You might need to OC your CPU to get any noticeable increase in Dolphin's performance. Although you never said what FPS you were getting, have a look the Dolphin Wik entry for Donkey Kong Country Returns for an estimate of the kind of power needed to get full-speed.

SauloOnofre

Thanks man,that explains why the resolution don't affect anything.
I usually get 45~52 FPS,it is playable but I'm I'd like to play it on 60,but I think that I won't do better than this. But there's something that bugs me,the windows task manager says that I'm only using 53% of my CPU,if what is bottlenecking is my CPU then why it is not using everything it got?
Sorry if i misspelled something,but English it's not my native language and thanks again for the information Big Grin
Make sure that you have "Enable Dual Core" turned on to use 2 cores, and also check "Lock Threads To Cores" to make sure the threads do not jump to different cores (the jumping decreases performance, so this option helps with Intel's Turbo Boost). Other than overclocking your CPU, I don't think there's really a lot you can do to increase Dolphin's performance.

SauloOnofre

Yeah those options are on. I think that too,good thing that the game is playable at least. Again thanks for the help.