Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my laptop ok for Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I find it odd seeing that when I had vista, I could use Dolphin no problem...it wasn't until I switched to Windows 7 (same laptop) where stuff started acting buggy...
Like when I just re downloaded Dolphin I'm getting a pixel shader error but I'll post that in it's appropriate thread.

And yes I know this laptop is old. I'll be buying a new one when money permits it...

HP 6715b
AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-64 2.20 GHz
1.00GB
ATI Radeon X1200 Series
Total Available Graphics Memory: 319 MB
Dedicated Video Memory: 128 MB
System Video Memory: 0 MB
Shared System Memory: 191 MB
No, that laptop is nowhere near enough to adequately play Dolphin, at least not with any enjoyable speeds. It sounds like you used to use an old revision of Dolphin. Newer builds emulate GC/Wii games more accurately, hence they're no longer cutting any corners. The latest Dolphin builds would require more from your hardware than previous ones. That pixel shader error sounds like your GPU can't handle Dolphin.
No that won't cut it at all I'm afraid. You'll have to stop living in the past and do some serious hardware upgrade.
Use the laptop for something else at the moment and save your money for a desktop rig build instead of a new laptop.

Laptops can't achieve miracles I'm afraid unless you're willing to shell out several thousands.
That laptop would not work for dolphin maybe for a ps1 emu
(03-01-2012, 02:23 AM)mman2067 Wrote: [ -> ]That laptop would not work for dolphin maybe for a ps1 emu

Actually it should do n64 just fine Tongue
(03-01-2012, 02:51 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-01-2012, 02:23 AM)mman2067 Wrote: [ -> ]That laptop would not work for dolphin maybe for a ps1 emu

Actually it should do n64 just fine Tongue

I really doubt that all N64 games would run full speed though on that laptop. GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, heck even Majora's Mask can be intensive sometimes on Project64 1.6 with the Jabo 1.6.1 plugin updates even on my rig.

But if you said N64, then I have to say that SNES games and GBA games would do just fine (Just so the next guy posting can say that NES games would do just fine)
(03-01-2012, 02:16 AM)Gabriel Belmont Wrote: [ -> ]No that won't cut it at all I'm afraid. You'll have to stop living in the past and do some serious hardware upgrade.
Use the laptop for something else at the moment and save your money for a desktop rig build instead of a new laptop.
Haha I'm fully aware it's old Tongue I'm working on getting a new laptop but I wanna go a lil bit over what I want with a laptop.
Specifically.....
4GB-6GB RAM
i5 or i7 processor
1GB Dedicated Graphic card
And so on.

Normally those run for over a thousand so really just slowly working on it....
Oh and in reference to buying a desktop. that came to mind originally but then figured I'm not at the house alot so laptop would be better although the flaw of course is....not as customizable as a desktop....
Really only games I play on the regular is ffxi and that requires very lil resources... Only game (atleast pc anyway) that i plan on getting is Phantasy Star Online 2. Which highly doubt it would work right on this laptop.
So I don't trully need a masterful piece that can multitask all like that.... but something where I won't be sluggish at times either......

Oh just so happen I've been using a GBA Emulator to play Megaman Battle Network 6 and it plays perfectly...although I kind of figured it would....
(03-01-2012, 10:42 AM)Darkzeru Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-01-2012, 02:16 AM)Gabriel Belmont Wrote: [ -> ]No that won't cut it at all I'm afraid. You'll have to stop living in the past and do some serious hardware upgrade.
Haha I'm fully aware it's old Tongue I'm working on getting a new laptop but I wanna go a lil bit over what I want with a laptop.
Specifically.....
4GB-6GB RAM
i5 or i7 processor
1GB Dedicated Graphic card
And so on.

Normally those run for over a thousand so really just slowly working on it....
Oh and in reference to buying a desktop. that came to mind originally but then figured I'm not at the house alot so laptop would be better although the flaw of course is....not as customizable as a desktop....
Really only games I play on the regular is ffxi and that requires very lil resources... Only game (atleast pc anyway) that i plan on getting is Phantasy Star Online 2. Which highly doubt it would work right on this laptop.
So I don't trully need a masterful piece that can multitask all like that.... but something where I won't be sluggish at times either......

Oh just so happen I've been using a GBA Emulator to play Megaman Battle Network 6 and it plays perfectly...although I kind of figured it would....

Ha ha OK, well if you're going to play those games I'm sure it's gonna work just fine for you with those new specs.

I guess it's a matter of personal preference how you would like it, desktop or laptop. Me I'm a one place kind of guy and like a desktop for maximum performance.
(03-01-2012, 04:47 PM)Gabriel Belmont Wrote: [ -> ]Ha ha OK, well if you're going to play those games I'm sure it's gonna work just fine for you with those new specs.

I guess it's a matter of personal preference how you would like it, desktop or laptop. Me I'm a one place kind of guy and like a desktop for maximum performance.

yea lol. At times I can be a homebody but there are times where I do leave the house for long periods of time like say best friend house and like the option of bringin laptop with me. Plus in my current living condition until I move out (with parents at apartment).....nice size room but putting a computer desk would make the room rather crampy.....laptop works for this haha

Thinking back on it....probably don't even need that much Dedicated Memory....512MB might suffice although not as much customizing as say with a desktop....
Generally something like this would work for me. Trying to make sure my next laptop has a NVIDIA Graphic card....although seems Bestbuy is limited on those....unless that's just the site
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+K73SV...Id=4070548