Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Upgrade from i3 to i5?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys.

So far dolphin runs pretty good. accept of games like donkey kong country returns(about 80% speed) and rayman origins crashes down to 90% sometimes. Mario Galaxy runs fine btw.

Over all im pleased with my overall system performance(dolphin could run a bit better)

this is my system:

asus mainboard with h61 chip(no OC)
hd 6970@1ghz
4gb ddr3 ram
i3 2120@3,5ghz

i know that the only OC-able i5 is the "k" version. But my mainboard doesnt support OC and i dont really want to buy a new one(just got my h61 last week)

so i could buy a regular i5 without "k" and OC.

But the question is. Is it worth it? will i get better speed on donkey kong country returns?
Well I wouldn't have bought an i3 in the first place, and if i was buying a new processor I would make the jump to i7, because unless you sell the i3 you won't get a boost that is worth the spend.
Just wait until haswell comes out in 1.5 years.
Look, even a i7 can't run all Dolphin Games at full speed, you should buy new ones, like Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge.

Regards.
And here i always thought i7 was a sandy bridge Dodgy
the 2120 is sandy bridge...
Why i5 and not i7? Price doesn't differ that much from a i5 2500K to a i7 2600K or i7 2700K
Plus you'll get 2 more MB of L3 cache with the i7 which has 8MB L3 cache instead of the 6MB L3 cache the i5 2500K have.
Its way better to upgrade to i7 you can run your games at full speed
Yeah with an i7 it's good as it gets these days literally speaking.

If I were to build today, this day I would personally have used the i7 3820 3.6GHz LGA 2011 Quad Core CPU with 10MB of L3 cache
It ain't that expensive either.

Man what a kick ass build it could have been.
Quote:Why i5 and not i7? Price doesn't differ that much from a i5 2500K to a i7 2600K or i7 2700K

$100 more (50% more price) for no improvement in performance, that's why.
Pages: 1 2