Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Transfer Dolphin save files back to Wii: Or anatomy of a save file.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there, just like the topic says, I want to know how to transfer save files from Dolphin back to my Wii. I want to transfer two saves:

Muramasa the Demon Blade
Super Mario Galaxy 2

I imported my Mario save from my Wii to dolphin, got some power stars, now I want to transfer the new save file back to my Wii again. Same with Muramasa.

But, when I look around the save files, they are not the same size. The original save file is 73.4k. I did some snooping to find the new save, but found that its now 12k.

I know what file it is, since I'm looking for when it was last modified. I tested it by booting up mario, saving and quitting, and checked the save folder again for what time it was last save modified

I haven’t tried it yet, but something tells me if I can’t just rename it, drag it to the Mario galaxy save folder (SB4E), and it will show up when I boot the Wii. Makes me wonder what the anatomy of a Wii save is…

Do I need some sort of plugin/ save extractor to do this? Also, my Wii isn’t hacked. Is this question answered elsewhere on the forums? If you can point me in the right direction, it’d be much appreciated.

If it helps any, here are my specs:
Dolpin 3.025 dirty
Windows 7 home edition
Intel i5 at 2.27ghz
4gb shared memory
Intel hd graphics chip
DX9

Surprisingly, Muramasa and Mario galaxy are playable, but slow in some parts as expected from this setup.
for wii games, right click the game and choose export wii save. This will create the proper folder structure for your sd card starting in the dolphin directory "private\....".
Copy or move the private folder to the root of your sd card (SD:\private\...) and attempt to copy it to your wii using the normal wii save manager.

if the saves cannot be copied, they may be copy protected (you will need to run homebrew to transfer protected saves) or you may need to use a newer version of dolphin (feature added in r E5140085 (3.0-9))
Aww man, talk about a 'minor' oversight. I just kept using the file>open tab when I want start the game. Sad

I tried with mario galaxy 2 per your instructions, and worked like a charm. No extra modding required.

Thanks for the tip.