Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: what cpu should i use for dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
what is the best amd processor for dolphin and also a video card video card
Personally, I dunno too much about AMD's chips when it comes to Dolphin. Avoid Bulldozer chips; they're just not cutting it for Dolphin. I think the Phenom II chips would be your best bet. If the machine is strictly for Dolphin, there's not much point in getting an X6, as Dolphin usually only uses 2 cores, and 3 cores if you enable "LLE on Thread" (for smoother audio). An X4 would be fine. I'd go for a Black Edition too, you'll need to OC it anyway to get full-speed (or at least close to it) in some games. Just know that Intel's Sandy Bridge chips currently outperform AMD's chips in Dolphin, clock for clock.

As for your video card, what kinda video quality do you want? 480p, 720p, or 1080p? Have a look at the Minimum Specs - Video Card guide; it'll give you a rough estimate of what kinds of cards are needed to get HD gameplay.
is the i5 good for dolphin if so what is would be the best video card
Nehalem ̣̣(Intel 1st gen) has already outperformed Phenom II clock for clock and Sandy Bridge kick a*s Nehalem
Bulldozer is out of the question
I recommend Pentium Sandy Bridge over Phenom II anytime
Then i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz rule them all Big Grin
If you need AMD so bad , Phenom II 965 + AMD 6670 should be fine for 1080p