Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Issues with The Magic Obelisk
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

emtilt

Hi, I'm new to using Dolphin, so please forgive any ignorance on my part. I am trying to run the game The Magic Obelisk. I've tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Dolphin 3.0-427 (as well as a couple random older versions) on Win7x64, and in both I run into the same problem. The game seems to run fine in terms of responding to input and rendering graphics, but one of the characters behaves incorrectly.

The premise of the game is that the main character cannot enter the light, and you can cast shadows with "obelisks" to create pathways for him. Some of these shadows are magic, allowing the main character to, for one example, fly when in the shadow. The problem I am having is that the character ALWAYS behaves as if he is in one of these "flying shadows." He continually floats around, and even when he enters the light, he is not injured. This, obviously, breaks the entire game.

Is there anything that I can try that may fix this, or am I just out of luck?
Settings?

emtilt

(02-26-2012, 02:38 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Settings?

Is there a way to export all of them to a single text file that I can post (since there are so many spread across so many menus)? Alternately, are there specific ones that matter?

I have tried fiddling with many, many of them, though, to no avail.
(02-26-2012, 02:59 PM)emtilt Wrote: [ -> ]

Is there a way to export all of them to a single text file that I can post (since there are so many spread across so many menus)? Alternately, are there specific ones that matter?

Use a capture tool and attach them when posting

emtilt

(02-26-2012, 10:39 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-26-2012, 02:59 PM)emtilt Wrote: [ -> ]

Use a capture tool and attach them when posting

I've put screen captures all of the primary settings menus in the attachment. I'm currently using OpenGL, though I also tried using Direct3D (Direct3D9 has the same behavior as OpenGL; Direct3D11 has the same behavior but also introduces graphical problems).
Push safe texture cache to the middle setting, set efb copy to ram, uncheck fast mipmaps, and uncheck disable per-pixel depth.

emtilt

(02-27-2012, 08:02 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Push safe texture cache to the middle setting, set efb copy to ram, uncheck fast mipmaps, and uncheck disable per-pixel depth.

Ok, thanks that has helped a lot. It seems the whole issue comes down to setting EFB Copies to RAM - changing that fixes the problem regardless of all other settings. (I assume the game is deciding behavior based on the texture coincident to the character's location on the map, so it needs to be in RAM rather than on the graphics card.)

Unfortunately, that change brings a huge drop in performance. I've been able to get the FPS up to about 24 FPS (on average - it sometimes dips below 20) by going to Direct3D9 and setting the texture cache to Fast. Do you have any other tips for boosting performance? It is playable as-is, but just barely.
Nope, welcome to emulation.