Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Xenoblade Audio Option Request
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

itsbehind

There is a great, working patch to fix the audio for the game Xenoblade Chronicles (here), but it can be only run on a separate build of Dolphin (for all other games, the audio sounds odd). I'd like to request to add an option to activate this patch in the menu so it can be game specific, without having to run a different build of Dolphin for this one game. I understand there are a lot of other issues to take care of, but I know that the many people playing this game would appreciate it! Thanks! Big Grin
Try Lectrode's builds. You can see the link to his site from this thread:
http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread.php?tid=9549.
special builds are only for a specific game...
and Patches / Hacks are not the right way to create an emulator...
thats why the will nearly "never" find the way into an official release

(only if they are realy fixing an general problem, whats not the case with the xenoblade soundfix)
^ what dannzen said.

itsbehind

That makes sense. Thanks guys.

HyldenKing

I have problem with cutscenes when i set ingame voice option on japanese ;/ i tried several builds but still the same =/
wrong thread
(02-25-2012, 10:30 AM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]special builds are only for a specific game...
and Patches / Hacks are not the right way to create an emulator...
thats why the will nearly "never" find the way into an official release

(only if they are realy fixing an general problem, whats not the case with the xenoblade soundfix)

(02-25-2012, 10:40 AM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]^ what dannzen said.

But there is a general problem with HLE audio.

Basically there should be more HLE audio options as many other games have related problems too. Zelda SS and DKCR sometimes cause sound loops, so there seems to be a general issue with HLE audio related to caching.

Even SMG music stops are related and Xenoblade fix tries to address that issue specifically for Xenoblade. If there were more changeable HLE audio parameters in game profile .ini we might be able to address all those issues and reach a higher overall compatibility without using the low performance LLE.

What I mean is that if we look closer at the Xenoblade fix and provide the parameters it changes as game-specific and adjustable options there is a large chance to fix the issues in other games the same way. As reports indicate that DKCR loops also happen on real Wii if bad quality DVD media is used this is also clearly caching related. And as most modern PCs come with a lot of RAM, why not also use that for audio caching?
Yes, there is a general problem with HLE audio: it's a big pile of hacks. Adding more hacks which do not match HW behavior (while coincidentally fixing bugs) will only make HLE worse in the long run. It needs a big cleanup based on some real facts about how the UCodes work.
Quote:Zelda SS and DKCR sometimes cause sound loops, so there seems to be a general issue with HLE audio related to caching.

That makes no sense, why would that be a caching issue?

Quote:What I mean is that if we look closer at the Xenoblade fix and provide the parameters it changes as game-specific and adjustable options there is a large chance to fix the issues in other games the same way

That makes no sense, the issue that xenoblade has is completely different from games like SMG or DKCR, did you even read the patch notes? Here, I'll post the abstract explanation for you:
Quote:For those interested in how this works, the game engine's writes to looping audio buffers seems to drift towards the read offsets until it eventually overtakes them (resulting in noise). When the engine only sees odd offsets in the PB structures this doesn't seem to happen.

Quote: As reports indicate that DKCR loops also happen on real Wii if bad quality DVD media is used this is also clearly caching related.

Once again this is not "clearly cache related".

Quote:And as most modern PCs come with a lot of RAM, why not also use that for audio caching?

Because you have no idea what you're talking about.
Pages: 1 2