Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Overheating
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

fusion27

I run on a laptop (First problem, I know) with an i7 dual core processor. For most emulators, such as the PCSX2, my laptop would never overheat. However, even with adequate ventilation, my laptop overheats to the point where it shuts down for safety reasons. Is there any type of settings I can do to prevent this overheating without a noticeable reduction in performance? I'm running basic settings for the Emulator, and I have the latest release. The only game I have tried running is Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.
(02-22-2012, 11:48 AM)fusion27 Wrote: [ -> ]I run on a laptop (First problem, I know) with an i7 dual core processor. For most emulators, such as the PCSX2, my laptop would never overheat. However, even with adequate ventilation, my laptop overheats to the point where it shuts down for safety reasons. Is there any type of settings I can do to prevent this overheating without a noticeable reduction in performance? I'm running basic settings for the Emulator, and I have the latest release. The only game I have tried running is Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

Check the gap between your fan and the heatsink. It may be completely blocked with dust like my laptop.
Void warranty :
_Clean your vents regularly
_Replace normal thermal compound with aftermarket one . Search your laptop model via youtube for tutorial .This is how i clean it
(02-22-2012, 11:48 AM)fusion27 Wrote: [ -> ]I run on a laptop (First problem, I know) with an i7 dual core processor. For most emulators, such as the PCSX2, my laptop would never overheat. However, even with adequate ventilation, my laptop overheats to the point where it shuts down for safety reasons. Is there any type of settings I can do to prevent this overheating without a noticeable reduction in performance? I'm running basic settings for the Emulator, and I have the latest release. The only game I have tried running is Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

You can also try extra fans underneath the laptop :
http://www.amazon.com/Eforcity-Notebook-...B000GBGPAW
But yeah good maintenance and making sure your fans are dust free is the first thing you have to do.
Also place you laptop on a wooden cool structure,or you can you iron if you got a modern nice looking iron plate so that your space near your laptop doesn't look like a factory Smile

Or try these fans as they look good and have 3 fans
http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-Notebook-Co...=pd_cp_e_0

you need as much fans as possible.
you could try this
[Image: 2833275_700b.jpg]