Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Freeze on Video Backend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

CSGC

Problem Description:

When trying to run Kirby's Air Ride (the only rom I currently have), I run into an interesting problem. The window, that I assume to be emulation window (titled Dolphin (build number) | JIT64 DC | FPS:0 - VPS:60 - SPEED: 100%) stops at the line Dolphin Direct3D9 Video Backend.

Now, I've tried multiple builds. Dolphin 3.0, 3.0-422, and 3.0-423. Each of them has the same hangup. Another thing: the window used to hang at "Clearing code cache." but now hangs up at just Dolphin Direct3D9 Video Backend. I've attempted with DirectX11, and OpenGL as well, only to have a similar line show up (with the respective video item).

Computer Specs:
(Also found in the user-info, I think.)
Windows 7 Ultimate - 64bit
Intel Core i7 - Q820 @ 1.73GHz
8GB ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M

A lot of people seem to be getting this error, the whole black screen business. It could be that your dump was bad. Redump the game from your Wii and see if you have better luck. As always, make sure your video card drivers are up to date.

CSGC

Will look into alternate Air Ride roms as well as other possible ones to test it with. Thanks for the suggestion.

Made sure that the video drivers were indeed up to date.
I hope you didn't download the game from the internet. The correct term for dumps or rips of GCN/Wii games are called ISOs, byte-for-byte copies of the disc. Usually, people who refer to these as ROMs are often pirates. Usually...

Not saying you are one, but looking into "alternate" versions sounds like finding another place to download the game. Discussion of downloading copyrighted games is forbidden here on the forums.

CSGC

(02-21-2012, 03:24 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]A lot of people seem to be getting this error, the whole black screen business. It could be that your dump was bad. Redump the game from your Wii and see if you have better luck. As always, make sure your video card drivers are up to date.

(02-21-2012, 03:34 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]I hope you didn't download the game from the internet. The correct term for dumps or rips of GCN/Wii games are called ISOs, byte-for-byte copies of the disc. Usually, people who refer to these as ROMs are often pirates. Usually...

Not saying you are one, but looking into "alternate" versions sounds like finding another place to download the game. Discussion of downloading copyrighted games is forbidden here on the forums.

No worries about that. My friend here on campus is the one with the disc. If it was a bad rip that brought a bad rom/iso, then so be it. I'll try it again later this week with the only other person I know that still has his game.
And I'm not pointing fingers or suggesting sources. Not even talking about them.
Just trying to get Dolphin to work is all. I do appreciate the keen eye, though. Will use proper terminology from here on out.
Fwiw, make sure you have panic handlers enabled, otherwise you might be dropping useful information.