Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New computer good for dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Cokabear

Heres the computer im building.
Intel pentium g620 sandy bridge
8gb ddr3 1333 ram
Nvidia gtx 260 1gb

I currently have lots of gamecube games like ssbm and wind waker, and 2 wii games zelda skyward sword and sonic colours will they play well?

I have had experiance dolphin on amd cpus, and i thought they sucked. (athlon ii x4 620) hoping this build will better suit the emulator.
Sure but why did you choose Nvidia Gtx 260 . It's outdated 65nm GPU
AMD 7770 28nm GPU or AMD 7750 must be a better choice for future gaming
Or you can wait for Nvidia Kepler 28nm
Try to bump up that cpu up to something higher.

Cokabear

(02-18-2012, 02:59 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Sure but why did you choose Nvidia Gtx 260 . It's outdated 65nm GPU

Thanks, just found a new gpu onsale. Gtx 460. Big Grin
(02-22-2012, 08:49 AM)Cokabear Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-18-2012, 02:59 PM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Sure but why did you choose Nvidia Gtx 260 . It's outdated 65nm GPU

Thanks, just found a new gpu onsale. Gtx 460. Big Grin

Make a little effort and buy a 470gtx also make sure you buy a very good case with lots of big silent fans if you don't want airplane sounds in your room 400+gtx tend to heat up to big temperatures and make a lot of noise but are good solid,dependable,fast gpu's.

And yeah amd and ati suck in my opinion(don't jump on me now people everyone supports what company they want,i don't like either company's just the speed of the products)

Also what is the price of 4gb ddr3 1333 these days?thinking of buying a extra 4.

Cpu is the most vital thing to focus on if you want full speed, so if your budget can be stretched a bit you would be in exponentially better shape. For $50 more ($128 total) you can leap up to an i3-2120 @ 3.3 Ghz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819115077. A step up from that would be a quad core i5, such as the i5-2300 @ 2.8ghz/3.1 turbo, for only $180 or less http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819115076. If you need to use LLE in Dolphin, plan on ever using Pcsx2, and want your rig to have some future proofability, then a sandy bridge quad core i5 is the way to go.

Imo for emulation your better off with a mediocre graphic card and a great Cpu, as opposed to a solid graphic card and lacking Cpu. You can always turn the Internal Resolution a bit down if need be, but you cant magically get full speed if your processor is out of its league. If your not on a super tight budget, and can stretch it another $100, it would be criminal to handicap yourself. Good luck and enjoy whatever build you decide on Wink
(02-22-2012, 10:12 PM)SlickDragon Wrote: [ -> ]Cpu is the most vital thing to focus on if you want full speed, so if your budget can be stretched a bit you would be in exponentially better shape. For $50 more ($128 total) you can leap up to an i3-2120 @ 3.3 Ghz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819115077. A step up from that would be a quad core i5, such as the i5-2300 @ 2.8ghz/3.1 turbo, for only $180 or less http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819115076. If you need to use LLE in Dolphin, plan on ever using Pcsx2, and want your rig to have some future proofability, then a sandy bridge quad core i5 is the way to go.

Imo for emulation your better off with a mediocre graphic card and a great Cpu, as opposed to a solid graphic card and lacking Cpu. You can always turn the Internal Resolution a bit down if need be, but you cant magically get full speed if your processor is out of its league. If your not on a super tight budget, and can stretch it another $100, it would be criminal to handicap yourself. Good luck and enjoy whatever build you decide on Wink

Yeah i know what you mean my i5 hasn't failed me so far,it's not i7 but still can run pretty much anything these days Big Grin