Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Speed difference between OSX and Windows 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Bartman

I am experimenting with Dolphin on two systems:

1. Macbook Pro 13"
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.4 GHz
Graphics: Nvidia 320M
Memory: 4Gb

2. Windows desktop system
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz
Graphics: Nvidia 7300GT 512 Mb (with DX3D9 support)
Memory: 4Gb

The Windows desktop system is way more powerful, looking at the specifications (except for the graphics card), but the Mac runs Dolphin much faster and more fluently. I optimized the settings for Windows (from other posts), to have Dolphin run @ max speed. Still the Mac does better.

Does anyone of you know what the cause of this is? From many posts I read that the graphics card is not the limiting factor as long as the card supports DX3D9 (which mine does).

Thanks alot!

Regards, Bart.
set internal resolution on the windows desktop to 0.75x...
the 7300GT is just not powerful enough to handle dolphin...

the 320m is barely enough for 1.0x-1.5x

GeForce 7300GT ~ 10.4GB/s
GeForce 320M ~ 17.06GB/s

1x internal resolution
Needs 12GB/s of vram bandwidth

2x internal resolution
Needs 24GB/s of vram bandwidth

Bartman

This sounds logical. Thanks a lot for the info!
I guess I have to search for a new graphics card then.

Regards, Bart.

(02-14-2012, 11:31 PM)Bartman Wrote: [ -> ]This sounds logical. Thanks a lot for the info!
I guess I have to search for a new graphics card then.

Regards, Bart.

I grabbed a msi radeon 5450 1gb, works great, also direct x 11
Mac is better at using RAM and at maximizing CPU processes per cycle, as it runs on its own hardware. Also, the CPU on Mac is more powerful, because of the optimization. It also runs on a minimalist operating system.
(02-17-2012, 02:29 PM)Candunc Wrote: [ -> ]Mac is better at using RAM and at maximizing CPU processes per cycle, as it runs on its own hardware. Also, the CPU on Mac is more powerful, because of the optimization. It also runs on a minimalist operating system.
pls ignore this guy
in case of dolphin...
the directX Plugin is 10-20% faster
and guess what...
no directX plugin on mac...
guess what...
in the case of this thread creater the windows gpu is not fast enough to handle dolphin...
like mentioned in the second thread...

could someone close this thread?
(02-17-2012, 02:29 PM)Candunc Wrote: [ -> ]It also runs on a minimalist operating system.

Wait, did you just call Mac OS "minimalist"? Haha. Seems like we have very different ideas of "minimalistic". At least for me, a compositing manager is not minimalistic...
Quote:Mac is better at using RAM and at maximizing CPU processes per cycle, as it runs on its own hardware.

This makes no sense. They use the same hardware as everyone else.

Quote:Also, the CPU on Mac is more powerful, because of the optimization.

Once again this makes no sense, they use the same x86 cpus as everyone else.

Quote: It also runs on a minimalist operating system.

Not even close. If this is minimalist to you I hate to think what you would consider bloated.
MacOS uses SSE3 (according to OSx86 page) so you could consider it slightly more optimized than it works on a P2 Win7.
Includes SSE3 instructions in code != optimized well for SSE3

That page lists numerous things that should not normally be possible without extensive modification.