Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why am I stuttering? i5 2500k, GTX 560 TI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My games are stuttering (video and sound) a lot, especially during cut and loading scenes - like before a race begins in mario cart for wii. It also happens in Gamecube games like Super Smash Brothers Melee

I've tried options under Backend: OpenGL, Directx11, Directx9, etc. with no v-sync and all boxes unchecked. I really don't know what else to do.

Once the game actually starts though, it seems to run fine. And the fps stay at 60 regardless of the settings I've tried.

These small imperfections really seem to ruin the entire gaming experience for me. That's probably a stereotypical PC gamer's POV, but it's true.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Version:

3.0-415-dirty

Specs:

i5 2500k - not yet OC'ed, stock speeds
EVGA SuperClocked GTX 560 TI DS
8GB (2x4) Wiintec One DDR3 1600Mhz
1 TB Samsung HDD 5400 RPM
Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Well if you're playing for the 1st time it could be that dolphin was creating shader cache so you can get a 5 second stutters when that happens, so try going through an area you had a stutter before, it should play well when going a 2nd time

I doubt it but you could also check your temps incase, just to be on the safe side
(02-13-2012, 08:06 PM)Zee530 Wrote: [ -> ]Well if you're playing for the 1st time it could be that dolphin was creating shader cache so you can get a 5 second stutters when that happens, so try going through an area you had a stutter before, it should play well when going a 2nd time

I doubt it but you could also check your temps incase, just to be on the safe side

Yeah, unfortunately I'm still having the same problems the second and third times around... Cooling's also not the issue. The temps are stable and I have 8 fans with half mesh case.
Settings then?
Quote:I've tried options under Backend: OpenGL, Directx11, Directx9, etc. with no v-sync and all boxes unchecked. I really don't know what else to do.

wtf?
make a new dolphin installation and start with default settings...
just set internal resolution from "auto" to 4x

Mario Kart
and Super Smash Brothers are running perfeclty fine with default settings
(02-13-2012, 11:46 PM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I've tried options under Backend: OpenGL, Directx11, Directx9, etc. with no v-sync and all boxes unchecked. I really don't know what else to do.

wtf?

Mario Kart

Should I try an older version? Could they be more stable?

(02-14-2012, 12:09 AM)FlossBandit Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-13-2012, 11:46 PM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]

wtf?

Mario Kart

Should I try an older version? Could they be more stable?

Just try Dolphin 3.0 the official release (not 3.0-XXX)
will do when i get off work...
It could be a number of things that is causing this. Is the stuttering long or short? In other words is it microstuttering?

Try checking the box that says "use fps for limiting". This may cause certain parts of the game to run at the wrong speed. If it fixes the stuttering then we know it's a problem with uneven frame distribution (incorrect or mismatched refresh rate).
(02-15-2012, 06:41 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]It could be a number of things that is causing this. Is the stuttering long or short? In other words is it microstuttering?

Try checking the box that says "use fps for limiting". This may cause certain parts of the game to run at the wrong speed. If it fixes the stuttering then we know it's a problem with uneven frame distribution (incorrect or mismatched refresh rate).

I'd say most of it happens between a second and three seconds. I'll watch the frame rate drop to about 30 for close to a half a second, then it sits at 1 for the rest of the time with distorted sound.

I've now tried Mario Kart for the Gamecube too, and I'm getting the same issues in it too.

No such luck with the "use fps for limiting" thing. I appreciate the response though.
Pages: 1 2