Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Unusual stuttering in performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

schnide

Hi all,

Firstly - AMAZING emulator and congratulations to those who've worked so hard and given it all away for free. Cool

Secondly, I'm running Dolphin on a PC that I wouldn't expect to perform very well in pretty much anything:

Pentium 4 2.8ghz (not dual core)
2.5gb RAM
Geforce 6500

Games run pretty slowly and aren't playable BUT here's the thing. I remember in the old days of emulation, if your PC wasn't fast enough then games would run consistently slowly.

With Dolphin on my machine, the game will run for three seconds, pause for one, then run for three seconds, pause for one.. that's constant. If my machine specs were the issue, then wouldn't Dolphin just run consistently slowly? Huh

I've played with the settings according to the sticky, and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Any ideas?

schnide
Single core won't do so great performance as Dual Core. These minimal requirements are only to see graphics and play some of games. Overall: you need to Dual Core to play games properly.

schnide

Oh hey I know that, but my question was related to the timing of the stuttering. It's almost like games could run pretty well but they pause every couple of seconds, rather than just running constantly at a low speed, which isn't consistent with how other emulators or games run when the specs aren't high enough.

Maybe it's something unique to do with the way Dolphin works, but it's almost like the program is polling for a network connection or something similar, even though of course it isn't that.

cmccmc

I have a 2Ghz AMD Athlon 64 and mine doesn't do that. It just plays between 10-25fps

schnide

See? Just as I thought, this isn't what should be happening but I can't figure out why it is.
(03-29-2009, 11:57 PM)schnide Wrote: [ -> ]the game will run for three seconds, pause for one, then run for three seconds, pause for one..

I think you may have answered your own question. What you must remember is Dolphin is far from complete/stable. Unfortunatley if you don't have a higher spec PC you will run into "Hiccups" like this as your CPU does not have the processing power to buffer (Smoothen) the game. Another thing too, Single core Athlons were always faster than single core P4's. Sorry dude. Undecided

schnide

Hey, it's not the end of the world! I never bought this PC for gaming anyway. Hopefully future releases will iron out that stutter!