Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Getting a new video card, what can I expect different from Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So my current video card is old. An ATI (ATI!) 4850.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814121253

My game mag showed me this card, and gave it awards and stuff. The GTX 560 DirectCU II.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814121424

Now, I hope that will fit in the spot of my old card (I never have any clue). But moving on, it has been a while since I got a new video card, will this increase Dolphin's performance? I am already running an i5 2500k @ 3.30 GHz (I could/should overclock it a bit). I do notice I can't run at full screen.

It will allow me to run my games in DirecX 11, instead of 9, right? That should be an improvement. I can use anti-aliasing? Full screen? Stuff like that.

And, MOST IMPORTANTLY, should I get that card, or is there a better? My last card was an ATI (AMD), and I know AMD has the better video cards now while being the underdog, but I do want PhysX effects in my PC Games. Even still, I am open to both ideas.

Thanks guys!
Unless you game at 2160 x 1600, you should be fine.

That card can handle 4x native in the vast majority of dolphin games.
By now everyone should know that the GPU only allows you to increase internal resolution without losing game speed and that the CPU is what counts. You can already run games at 3xIR with your old card and in my opinion, that's enough. You don't need a new video card for Dolphin. Your new video card is going to allow you to raise the IR to 4x. That's not really worth the upgrade to me. As far as PC games go, yes, upgrade your GPU for that purpose.
(01-25-2012, 08:55 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]By now everyone should know that the GPU only allows you to increase internal resolution without losing game speed and that the CPU is what counts. You can already run games at 3xIR with your old card and in my opinion that's enough, you don't need a new video card for Dolphin. Your new video card is going to allow you to raise the IR to 4x. That's not really worth the upgrade to me. As far as PC games go, yes, upgrade your GPU for that purpose.

There's always SSAA.
Doubt any card could max that out on all games.

My NEW graphics card is roughly on par with your old one. (4850 as opposed to my GTS 450.)
You won't gain much in regards to Dolphin performance, maybe an increase of a couple of frames per second.
You gotta realize that Dolphin is heavily dependent on CPU, not GPU. I guess you can do max AF and AA with that card... and that's all.
Directx 11 doesn't really give much more than Directx 9, however I do find it to be more... stable or something.

That GTX 560 is obviously better than what you have (a piece of crap), but really, you don't even need this high video card if all you care about is Dolphin.

Now about that ATI and AMD thing.. ATI is now known as AMD, because ATI was bought by AMD. Just so that you don't make people facepalm.
There's really only 2 companies making wuality video cards, AMD and nVidia.

And if you want a ridiculous video card see here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814130665

EDIT: Took me so long to post this that Starscream already answered the base question. damn. Big Grin
(01-25-2012, 09:01 AM)Bludger Wrote: [ -> ]You won't gain much in regards to Dolphin performance, maybe an increase of a couple of frames per second.
You gotta realize that Dolphin is heavily dependent on CPU, not GPU. I guess you can do max AF and AA with that card... and that's all.
Directx 11 doesn't really give much more than Directx 9, however I do find it to be more... stable or something.

That GTX 560 is obviously better than what you have (a piece of crap), but really, you don't even need this high video card if all you care about is Dolphin.

Now about that ATI and AMD thing.. ATI is now known as AMD, because ATI was bought by AMD. Just so that you don't make people facepalm.
There's really only 2 companies making wuality video cards, AMD and nVidia.

And if you want a ridiculous video card see here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814130665

EDIT: Took me so long to post this that Starscream already answered the base question. damn. Big Grin

I know the ATI and AMD thing. I was remarking that my video card is so old it's still known as ATI. All new cards are known as AMD.

And I would imagine a new graphics card would let me turn up AA and run it in full screen. Wouldn't it?

Edit: I have Little King's Story currently. Windowed, it runs fine. Full screen, it slows down a lot. I assumed this was a hardware issue, because the windowed resolution and the full screen resolution are different. Do you mean it isn't? It could be a Dolphin build issue, or a game issue (though I believe it happens in other games.)

I want a new video card for PC Gaming too. I wanted to know how it'd affect Dolphin. And, no one thinks there's a difference between DirectX 9 and DirectX 11?
(01-25-2012, 09:01 AM)Bludger Wrote: [ -> ]That GTX 560 is obviously better than what you have (a piece of crap)...

I take offense to that Undecided

(01-25-2012, 09:04 AM)belomeclone Wrote: [ -> ]And, no one thinks there's a difference between DirectX 9 and DirectX 11?

What do you expect? Tesselation?

Also you are able to use the Direct3D11 Backend with your DX10 4850.

Quote:I want a new video card for PC Gaming too. I wanted to know how it'd affect Dolphin.

As several others have already told you, it won't improve your performance, and you can use the same backends (including d3d11) and features with your current card that you will be able to use with your new card. It will however significantly improve performance in PC games. Although I would wait until the HD7000 and Geforce 700 series come out in a couple of months.
(01-25-2012, 09:49 AM)StupidStories Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-25-2012, 09:01 AM)Bludger Wrote: [ -> ]That GTX 560 is obviously better than what you have (a piece of crap)...

I take offense to that Undecided

(01-25-2012, 09:04 AM)belomeclone Wrote: [ -> ]And, no one thinks there's a difference between DirectX 9 and DirectX 11?

What do you expect? Tesselation?

Also you are able to use the Direct3D11 Backend with your DX10 4850.

This card supports DirectX10. I do not think it would support 11. I believe i tried but to no avail.
(01-25-2012, 09:58 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I want a new video card for PC Gaming too. I wanted to know how it'd affect Dolphin.

As several others have already told you, it won't improve your performance, and you can use the same backends (including d3d11) and features with your current card that you will be able to use with your new card. It will however significantly improve performance in PC games. Although I would wait until the HD7000 and Geforce 700 series come out in a couple of months.

What should I expect from those pricewise?
The DX11 backend supports DX10 and your card supports DX10, so there is no reason it wouldn't work. You'd have to be on Windows Vista or 7, though. You should add your full specs to your profile so people know what system you have.
Pages: 1 2