Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Pikmin 2 Audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know if anyone noticed, but with the recent HLE changes, Pikmin 2 is the only game I've tried that produces audio that sounds close to being right. The movies are perfect like usual, but in-game and throughout the title and menus, several sound effects (and a bit of the title screen music, although it cuts off) can be heard.

It's still very "wrong" but it's so darn close it's making me shake. The sounds appear to all be playing correctly, at the wrong sampling rate. During the crash landing scene for example, the sounds the ship is making are all squeaky and high pitched while it tumbles down to the surface. If you can figure out what the game is *supposed* to be sending out for the sample rate and adjust your routines, I think sound in Pikmin 2 will be the first to be right.

Yay! GO DEV TEAM! I'm so proud. ^_^

-gamefreak

EDIT: And it now goes past the first level? O.O Hooray? Is this new, or was this an earlier fix? I didn't know about it... The game also appears to be running right at fullspeed with no slowdowns at all, which is another first. With the 32bit version at that, which is usually quite slow. Dang, you guys have been busy. Fix up the audio, and Pikmin 2 gets a perfect score so far.

Further Edit: Audio appears to die when going into the underground caves. It doesn't come back, so I'm assuming that the DSP "lost sync" when this happened, and stopped processing audio from the game. Interesting. Still, I was able to get all the way through the caves without issue. I wonder what was preventing it from going this far before?
Well, sound was preventing it to go further Smile
There's actually quite a few games based on sound events, obviously, if sound isn't working right it's likely that it won't work, so it basically wait for either the sound to start or the sound to stop to do an action, as going to the next race in MKDD, going to the next level in Pikmin 2, or even be able to press A when you gain an item in Zelda :p

It was fixed sometimes ago already, take a look : http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/sou...ail?r=3392
And don't forget to thanks Luigi Smile
Thank you Luigi! Forever is the fanbase of Dolphin in your debt. Or at least, something like that.

Still, the fact that this research is so close to getting sound to work in all these games that have lacked it for so long makes me happy. I'm actually working on playing through Pikmin 2 from start to finish in Dolphin, since it's possible now. I'll document my progress here I guess, I just made it to the first cave in the Awakening Wood.
As an update to this, in r3608 Pikmin 2's sounds are nearing perfection. No more static, yay! But there's no music, which is odd because before the Title music would at least attempt to play. Still, great work.

It's not perfect, it now seems that the DSP is ignoring the volume command for sounds. In particular, Pikmin 2 alters the volume of the sounds of Pikmin and other animals based on Olimar's location, so it's quite interesting that the 5 red pikmin (who aren't in your party yet) can be heard during the entire crash scene, when they should be so quiet (because of distance) so as to be barely audible. Also, the menu noises seem to use a lot of volume modulation to produce a pleasant "echo" effect for the sounds that isn't being performed right. I'm sure you'll have a fix for this very soon, but I just wanted to point it out.

Pikmin 2 is now coming that much closer to perfection. Yay! I'm still working on my playthrough, just recently managed to obtain all 5 types and really get going on the caves. Man, vacations *rock*!

Great job so far devs. I'll post some Youtube videos later when I'm on my PC that can handle things properly.

-gamefreak
Does Pikmin (The first one, don't have the second) not work with PAL version because when I start it says "DSPHLE: Unknown ucode (CRC = 267d05a) - forcing AX/AXWii. Try LLE plugin for this homebrew."
(Revision 3620)
See if you can *buy* yourself a copy of the ntsc version of pikmin, it runs perfectly.
Pikmin 2 pal work too (gamecube) I test pikmin 2 pal wii soon.
I've actually a minor correction: the music everywhere *except* the title screen appears to be working somewhat, although all of the music everywhere seems to have a single violin note playing constantly, plus the stated volume issues. Still, this is the first "midi" style music I've ever heard Dolphin play, so it's pretty impressive. When it's running fullspeed, the game's music is actually bearable, mostly because it's awesome that it's there at all. ^_^
(07-01-2009, 07:16 AM)thegamefreak0134 Wrote: [ -> ]Still, this is the first "midi" style music I've ever heard Dolphin play, so it's pretty impressive.

if you want to wet your pants, you can use dsp lle and run hermes' .mod playing demo...it's great Big Grin
w00t! Pikmin 2 has almost perfect sound with rev. 3747, thanks to the volume and panning fixes. Nice job! The only thing that still isn't working right is streaming sounds (like the intro music and several other things) but the mod style music playing throughout the levels works great, and I get the feeling looking at the SVN commits that the streaming issue is already being looked at.

Um, bravo? I think bravo is in order here.

It's unrelated, but Super Mario Galaxy now sounds absolutely brilliant as well.