Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will this do for Gamecube games only...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
im really interested in upgrading from my old old desktop which has an intel celron processor at 3.3ghz and as i found out dolphin requires a minimum of 2 cores with 3 ghz plus so i was thinking of just barely upgrading to an Intel Pentium D 3.4 Ghz with 2gb ram will this processor suffice for game cube games such as pokemon gale of darkness and super Mario strikers at 90-100% thanks in advance.
You might be able to play a few games, but no, that CPU is no where near fast enough. It's not just about the clock speed in this case, it's about the CPU architecture.
(01-17-2012, 01:31 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]You might be able to play a few games, but no, that CPU is no where near fast enough. It's not just about the clock speed in this case, it's about the CPU architecture.

first things first thanks for replying how will this computer do then it has an intel core 2 duo at 3.0 ghz and 2gb ram, and another which also has the same processor and same speed only that this one has 4gb ram the one with 2gb i currently have and needs a power supply only but im just asking basically if 2gb more ram would matter Smile thanks again
More RAM isn't going to make a difference for emulators, 2GB is fine. A Core2Duo would be much better, but you're still going to see slowdowns in many games.
Hm, I have a 2GB graphic card (ATI Radeon HD 5800), 8GB RAM and a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2GHz and the following GameCube games run at 4x internal resolution and in fullspeed:

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (some FPS drops at very demanding holes, but the game looks awesome)
Mario Power Tennis (some FPS drops with 4 players and power shots on, otherwise it works great)
Mario Party 4 (works great but there are some errors, the game randomly crashes sometimes)
Mario Smash Football / Super Mario Strikers (best emulation so far, almost NO graphical errors, but sound crackles often with DSP HLE, some FPS drops with power shots)
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (works completely fine, music volume is too low sometimes and/or stops playing, some FPS drops at demanding courses)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (works fine so far)
(01-17-2012, 01:44 AM)Waluigifan Wrote: [ -> ]Hm, I have a 2GB graphic card (ATI Radeon HD 5800), 8GB RAM and a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2GHz and the following GameCube games run at 4x internal resolution and in fullspeed:

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (some FPS drops at very demanding holes, but the game looks awesome)
Mario Power Tennis (some FPS drops with 4 players and power shots on, otherwise it works great)
Mario Party 4 (works great but there are some errors, the game randomly crashes sometimes)
Mario Smash Football / Super Mario Strikers (best emulation so far, almost NO graphical errors, but sound crackles often with DSP HLE, some FPS drops with power shots)
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (works completely fine, music volume is too low sometimes and/or stops playing, some FPS drops at demanding courses)

That's great, but what does that have to do with his system and this thread?
(01-17-2012, 01:44 AM)Waluigifan Wrote: [ -> ]Hm, I have a 2GB graphic card (ATI Radeon HD 5800), 8GB RAM and a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2GHz and the following GameCube games run at 4x internal resolution and in fullspeed:

ok thanks for posting the both of you honestly im sortta new to this emulating thing Smile but by my understanding the basic requirements are a dedicated GPU aswell as a dedicated processor and 2gb + ram.... so which would perform best 4 cores at 2.93ghz (intel core 2 quad) or an intel core 2 Duo at 3.0ghz... also if i Oc'd this would the performance be enough im really on a tight budget right now and i just want to enjoy some games like pokemon Colosseum and gale of darkness until i get a job following in the late spring Smile

@Waluigifan do you think you can try out pokemon Colosseum/ gale of darkness for me Smile because on my old ass cpu which is the celron one at 3.3ghz it runs at 50% most of the time Smile thanks in advance you guys.
It would be good to know the exact CPU model (-> E7200, Q9200 etc.) because some can be OCd better than others but generally speaking, get the quad core
(01-17-2012, 04:05 AM)StupidStories Wrote: [ -> ]It would be good to know the exact CPU model (-> E7200, Q9200 etc.) because some can be OCd better than others but generally speaking, get the quad core

intel core 2 duo i have is an e6850

the intel core 2quad i might consider buying is well idk... heres the item number for it on ebay ( 170765268694 ) should i just get a new atx power supply considering the desktop i have is decent and i can probly oc it but which Atx power supply would be best to go with the video card i have... actually better yet on the cpu i have the core 2 duo could it be the mother board itself than cant whistand the 1gb of memory the video card takes up and well generally speaking it its a pretty big card here's the name Nvidea Geforce galaxy gt 240 something like that thanks in advance Smile