Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my gpu good enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Crimson_V

I got a really cheap GT440, and i would like to know if its possible for me to run my wii games at full speed? (low resolution and with =>1 frameskip)
Dolphin is CPU intensive thus if you require more speed, you'll need a better CPU.
You should be able to handle x2 internal resolution with that GPU.

With your CPU, a Phenom II x4 970, you should be able to handle most Wii games fairly well.
There are games like Super Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword which require a better CPU or an overclock.

Crimson_V

(12-27-2011, 12:16 AM)Garteal Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin is CPU intensive thus if you require more speed, you'll need a better CPU.
You should be able to handle x2 internal resolution with that GPU.

With your CPU, a Phenom II x4 970, you should be able to handle most Wii games fairly well.
There are games like Super Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword which require a better CPU or an overclock.

thx for responding Big Grin
as stated above its CPU intensive.

i have a PII x4 955 (3.2Ghz stock) and i have it over clocked to 4.0Ghz at the moment and it runs all games flawlessly, (skyward sword and super mario galaxies 2 included... both running %100 speed)

with that CPU and a 440 you should be able to handle all games, and bump them up to 3x native res
A GT 440 is not good enough for 3x IR in the more efb copy intensive games, not even close. He should set his IR to 2x.
(12-27-2011, 06:43 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]A GT 440 is not good enough for 3x IR in the more efb copy intensive games, not even close. He should set his IR to 2x.

I'm very curious: Is the IR GPU dependant? The difference between 1x and 1,5x, is it dependant on the GPU or the CPU?

Second question: Is it possible to play without getting lag when you have less than 60fps? When my fps drops to 55 everything goes slowmo :S
Quote:I'm very curious: Is the IR GPU dependant? The difference between 1x and 1,5x, is it dependant on the GPU or the CPU?

Entirely GPU dependent. IR sets the resolution of the rendertarget (which in this case is the efb). Rasterization and pixel shaders are always fully hardware accelerated by the gpu (unless you're using a software renderer, but dolphin doesn't).

Quote:Second question: Is it possible to play without getting lag when you have less than 60fps? When my fps drops to 55 everything goes slowmo

If you use frameskipping yes, it's not recommended though.

kynzera

Can i run games at fullspeed?
Dual Core E8400 @ 3.00 GHz
GTX 550 Ti 1GB
4GB of DDR2 RAM @ 800 MHz
Oh for the love of god! This is the second off topic question asked by a thread hijacker in this thread.

No you will not be able to run every game at fullspeed. Most games should run well or at fullspeed most of the time but some will not. Now if you're going to ask another question please start a new thread.