Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: OpenAL option does not show up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, everyone. I'm new to this board as well as to dolphin - using it for two days now Big Grin.

In fact, everything works better than expected, but I still got one problem I can't solve (further below). Some people apparently solved this problem by switching the sound API to openAL.
But when i attempt to change it, the dropdown menu only shows "no audio output", "DSound" and "XAudio2".
I already installed openAL and own a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Music (which is obviously openAL compatible Big Grin). I use Dolphin 3.0-235-dirty x64, which I think is the newest revision, since i downloaded it only a few days ago from the main page.
So does anyone have an idea, why this does not show up in my DSP config menu? Is there any possibility to change the API anyway?

The idea behind switching to openAL was to get rid of the out-of-sync audio in every Guitar Hero game for Wii. Enable audio throttle is switched on of course.

If anyone could help, this would be great Smile.
And btw: merry christmas, everyone Big Grin
The OpenAL backend was removed a long time ago.

Quote:The idea behind switching to openAL was to get rid of the out-of-sync audio in every Guitar Hero game for Wii. Enable audio throttle is switched on of course.

That has nothing to do with the audio backend. Are you using LLE audio?
Oh, okay.
Nope, i don't use LLE, because I haven't yet figured out how to use it Big Grin
It always says "Failed to load DSP ROM: [...]" and I should dump the file from my physical console. Since I do not own one, I haven't looked into this any further.
How do I continue? As far as I guess, this is a file on the Wii itself.
I will try to find a way to get the LLE running and post my success here Wink.
Thanks for the help Smile.
hey, it works now with LLE Smile

only have to figure out how to improve the overall performance in the GH games. they are by far the most performance-intensive games i've played so far - but at least the sound is now synced.

thank you so much Smile
Does the OpenAL have a SoundCard-processed sound buffer, not like the XAudio2 on CPU? The Creative X-Fi SoundCards are playing sourround sound only on DSound and OpenAL on my system. And on DSound, it's crackling on Tales of Symphonia for on HLE for example. (Really Thx on Delroth for this HLE fix! Smile) On XAudio, it's not crackling, but only stereo sound - Could OpenAL fix this, if it would be there on windows version again?
Fwiw, OpenAL is the only audio backend that I get sound crackling in ToS using 3.0-809 with HLE audio. ALSA and AOSound seem to do just fine however, no problems with either. Not sure if this means anything if OpenAL were still on Windows, but it actually gives me issues with this game on Linux.
That's because current AX HLE timing is linked to audio backend (which, as we know now but people might not have known in the past, is stupid). Try a new-ax-hle build Smile http://dolphin-emu.org/download/list/new-ax-hle/1/

OP, this might solve your sound desync issues too. However it might not be the most stable thing ever.
Wow, i don't know there's a second download site for testing the new HLE builds. On 3.0-821 build the crackling is completely gone on DSound and the sourround sound is on. But the sound effects on ToS are now a little more bad again - The game runs stable
There is only one official Dolphin download website: dolphin-emu.org.
I suppose he meant here and on the "old" site. Builds are still updated over there Tongue
delroth Wrote:That's because current AX HLE timing is linked to audio backend (which, as we know now but people might not have known in the past, is stupid).

Well that certainly explains a lot, though why was it designed like that initially? :p Glad to see a more proper approach is being worked on, keep it up Dolphin devs.