Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Texture aliasing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm seeing bad texture aliasing particularly in Zelda TP. It looks like it could benefit from trilinear mipmapping (even though it didn't use full trilinear mipmapping on the gamecube). Is there any way that could be added as an enhancement? Nvidia took away the option to force it via drivers, unfortunately, and since I have a 560Ti (evga, 2GB), I can't use any drivers that allow me to force it.
try nvidia inspector to force it via driver
but i don't know if its still there ö_Ö
(12-19-2011, 05:07 AM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]try nvidia inspector to force it via driver
but i don't know if its still there ö_Ö
It's not.

Does anyone on the Dolphin Team have plans to fix this?
First of all what do you mean by "texture aliasing"?
Are you talking about blockiness, shimmering, visible mipmap borders, or aliasing at the edges of an object (transparent texture or textured geometry)?

The rest of your post doesn't make any sense to me so we'll just start with that question.

I should also point out a few things:
-nvidias trilinear mipmapping option only ever worked with a handful of games
-the option was meant to force trilinear filtering in games that use mipmaps. If the game didn't use mipmaps the option didn't do anything. You can't force trilinear mipmapping in a game that doesn't use mipmaps to begin with.
-it was removed because AF was superior in every way except performance, and eventually graphics cards became powerful enough to implement AF without any performance hit
-dolphin does have a force bilinear/trilinear filtering option in the enhancements tab as well as an AF option, you can also try turning off fast mipmapping in the hacks tab
(12-19-2011, 12:08 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]First of all what do you mean by "texture aliasing"?
Are you talking about blockiness, shimmering, visible mipmap borders, or aliasing at the edges of an object (transparent texture or textured geometry)?

The rest of your post doesn't make any sense to me so we'll just start with that question.

I should also point out a few things:
-nvidias trilinear mipmapping option only ever worked with a handful of games
-the option was meant to force trilinear filtering in games that use mipmaps. If the game didn't use mipmaps the option didn't do anything. You can't force trilinear mipmapping in a game that doesn't use mipmaps to begin with.
-it was removed because AF was superior in every way except performance, and eventually graphics cards became powerful enough to implement AF without any performance hit
-dolphin does have a force bilinear/trilinear filtering option in the enhancements tab as well as an AF option, you can also try turning off fast mipmapping in the hacks tab
Thanks for the detailed answersSmile

Anyway, it's shimmering on distant textures. Edges/geometry are fine with AA turned on in the OpenGL plug in settings.

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread...#pid188222

could you try this?
with dolphin 32bit version and dx9 plugin

if you scroll down to the latest post...
it works... i just want a third opinion
SMAA is not going to help with texture shimmering.

Quote:Anyway, it's shimmering on distant textures. Edges/geometry are fine with AA turned on in the OpenGL plug in settings.

Have you turned on force bi/trilinear filtering?
(12-20-2011, 09:10 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]SMAA is not going to help with texture shimmering.

Quote:Anyway, it's shimmering on distant textures. Edges/geometry are fine with AA turned on in the OpenGL plug in settings.

Have you turned on force bi/trilinear filtering?
Yes, I never disable it. Metroid Prime and Matt Hofman's Pro BMX 2 didn't have shimmering textures, but Zelda TP does. I'm not sure why that is.