Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Upgrading CPU, will FX run cooler than a faster Phenom II?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need to coax more speed from my CPU to run Skyward Sword, but it has a locked multiplier. I don't know whether I should get another Phenom II for the job or if an FX CPU will run cooler when overclocked enough to give the performance I seek without making the cooling fans get loud.

The main problem is that no reviews I've found modify clock rates to give approximately equalized performance in synthetic tests, then rank the contenders by thermal efficiency.

Have any of you seen a review like this?

Or perhaps somebody has upgraded their Phenom II to an FX and can comment on their experience?

P.S. I don't need answers like "Phenom II is faster." What I want to know is which line will likely run cooler when sufficiently overclocked.
Don't even look at the new FX series. The Phenom II series is much much cooler and OC friendly then the "Bulldozers" (what a joke)
When I had my old Phenom II 1100T plugged in with a Corsair Hydro H50 CPU cooler the temps was around 23-25 degrees idle and it OC'ed like a dream for being an AMD CPU.

I admit that it was a good CPU, but Intel is my "fix" nowdays.

Phenom II over the crappy FX Bulldozer shit ANY DAY.

EDIT: Sorry for cursing and saying crappy and shit. It have just been a wonderful Friday evening with good drinks...
Quote: FX CPU will run cooler when overclocked enough to give the performance I seek without making the cooling fans get loud.

*begins laughing hysterically*

No.

Quote:The main problem is that no reviews I've found modify clock rates to give approximately equalized performance in synthetic tests, then rank the contenders by thermal efficiency.

Yeah....because it's more logical to rank them based on the settings that they run at out of the box since that's what most people will be using.

Quote:I need to coax more speed from my CPU to run Skyward Sword, but it has a locked multiplier.

Then raise the base clock/HTT/FSB/whatever the hell your bios setup calls it.

Quote:P.S. I don't need answers like "Phenom II is faster." What I want to know is which line will likely run cooler when sufficiently overclocked.

Bulldozer not only has greatly inferior performance in single/dual threaded applications like dolphin even when heavily overclocked but consumes massively more power and therefore produces massively more heat than anything else in the market. Its power consumption and heat both scale very poorly in tests to the point where it consumes 330 watts of power by itself when clocked at 4.5GHz! Did that answer your question?

Quote:EDIT: Sorry for cursing and saying crappy and shit. It have just been a wonderful Friday evening with good drinks...

So is everyone in sweden so polite that they consider "crappy" and "shit" to be curse words?
I don't know man, I guess crappy and shit isn't profane language. I hope I didn't offend someone though.
Man I'm wasted....
Yeah, Bulldozers suck. It's AMD's NetBurst right now (first pentium 4 CPUs were slower at 1.4GHz than Coppermine Celerons at 900MHz).

As for Phenom IIs - well, running at 3.8GHz right now with stock cooler undervolted to 1.25 volts. 45C with Dolphin running in background right now:
Adapter: ACPI interface
Vcore Voltage: +1.25 V (min = +0.85 V, max = +1.50 V)
+3.3 Voltage: +3.34 V (min = +2.97 V, max = +3.63 V)
+5 Voltage: +5.04 V (min = +4.50 V, max = +5.50 V)
+12 Voltage: +11.98 V (min = +10.20 V, max = +13.80 V)
CPU FAN Speed: 3223 RPM (min = 200 RPM)
CHASSIS FAN Speed: 1100 RPM (min = 200 RPM)
CPU Temperature: +45.0°C (high = +60.0°C, crit = +65.0°C)
MB Temperature: +34.0°C (high = +45.0°C, crit = +75.0°C)

Didn't tried anything higher because i don't want to overload 460W PSU. But since it runs stable at 3.8GHz undervolted i think it will run at 4GHz with stock voltage once i'll get 600-700W PSU, new video card and a better cooler of course
No reason to buy anything else for next 2-3 years, i'll wait for AMD to make a better CPU or i'll switch to intel if they won't (intel is fine but most motherboards suck because it's very hard to find workstation class motherboard with enough PCI and PCIe slots, and i use 3 PCI and 2 PCIe slots atm).
There are a LOT of bd review having answer of what you seek. Really now.

It would run slower even with higher clockspeed and consume much more power. Basically you're buying a downgrade compared to your cpu now.

If you insist though, be my guest.