Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Archive support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

kojiro

Any chance we'd have 7z/rar support in future versions?
At the moment only the ISO files are recognized. If they are compressed, the emulator won't recognize them.
Lots of emulators have archive support for roms/iso, so that's my suggestion for an additional feature.
That would be really nice to have option like this in the future, please consider it guys.

Keep it going!
Dolphin has good ISO compression, so why not use that. (You should finish all your dumps with an uncompressed ISO file, right?...)

kojiro

Dolphin sure has an ISO compression tool, but it's nothing near as good as 7z for example.
7z has a 80/85% average compressing ratio for NGC ISO, whereas the built-in Dolphin feature compressed with a ~97% ratio (for the several ISOs I checked).
For people with big collections, this cumulated amount is quite mentionable.

But well, the primary point of my post was not really about compression itself.
I just kindly asked for Dolphin to be able to read inside archives (rar/7 mainly) and possibly extract the ISO in a temp folder whenever it's played.
I personally prefer having my collection compressed in zip/7z/rar rather than a "proprietary" format.

As I previously mentioned, a lot of emulators now have archive reading features, why not Dolphin?

Regards.

PS. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying your gcz format sucks or anything. It has it's advantages too (e.g. fast reading).
Just saying a "mainstream archive formats" reading feature would be awesome.
Decompressing Wii ISOs on the fly won't work that easily because they are much bigger than other emulated systems' ROMs.

The point of Dolphin's compression format is to reduce file size considerably without needing to extract the whole archive while playing.
I don't see any point with this, you won't even probably gain a single FPS.
Hard drives is cheap today, buy a large one keep them uncompressed and case closed.

I have around 30's combined uncompressed Wii and GC games that I pay in Dolphin today and some other uncompressed PS2 and PSX games for PCSX2 and ePSXe. All these games take roughly 140GB of space on my kinda old 250GB storage hard drive.
250GB is kinda low with today standards, but I ain't complaining.

If you want more speed then upgrade your PC or something.
Lol gabriel :p he dosen't want more fps he want to take up less space.
less space...

its like complaining about fps on a petium 4
(12-16-2011, 07:58 PM)kojiro Wrote: [ -> ]7z has a 80/85% average compressing ratio for NGC ISO, whereas the built-in Dolphin feature compressed with a ~97% ratio (for the several ISOs I checked).
For people with big collections, this cumulated amount is quite mentionable.

Bad examples? Most of my GC games are compressed 10-20% with Dolphin's compression, and Wii games like Wii Sports/NSMB from 4.4GB to a few 100MB. And these discs are filled with junk data that won't compress with 7Zip.
(12-17-2011, 12:18 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Lol gabriel :p he dosen't want more fps he want to take up less space.

Oh ha ha I thought it was something with FPS when he said "It has it's advantages too (e.g. fast reading)."

But I don't know... as I said in my post too, hard drives is cheap today.
Just get a bigger one and let them be uncompressed.
Dolphins compression is pretty good in my opinion, the only thing i didnt like was all my .iso files were set to be opened with ultraiso and had the disc icon but when i compressed, even though i put ultraiso as default program, all it'd do was put a white paper and put a small icon of ultraiso in the middle which looked kinda ugly imo, so i unzipped back.
Thats it, the only thing i didnt like had to do with the icon pic (i'm kind of a computer clean freak Tongue )
Pages: 1 2