Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Question about cpu?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Right now I am running an Athlon II X2 Overclocked to 3.4 and I was thinking of upgrading it to a Phenom II X2 and hope to unlock more cores or X4 so maybe I can run Dolphin faster.
I am building my son a new computer without putting a whole lot of money into it, I was going to use Amd A-Series APU for the build so I can cut the video card out and add that later when I get the money.
Should I just buy the A-series for myself and give him my rig without doing an upgrade or should I just upgrade my computer? I have 4gb ram, supports 16gb ram and I have a Nvidia Geforce Gts450 running in it now.
If I had the money I would do an Intel build :-( so I am stuck on Amd.
thanks in advance.
Option 1 (buy the APU for yourself and give your son your current system)

Pros: Cheaper since you don't need a cpu upgrade. Your son gets a better system.

Cons: Slightly inferior cpu, very inferior gpu for yourself.

or

Option 2 (buy the APU system for your son and upgrade to a phenom II)

Pros: You get a slightly better cpu and much better gpu.

Cons: More expensive since you have to buy both the APU system and a new cpu for your system. Your son gets an inferior system (not much of a con if you ask me).

Not sure exactly what you're asking. Do whatever you want to do. If you want a better system go with option 2. If you don't want to spend that much go with option 1.
Also, which specific apu are you looking at?
Ok I see, I play more stuff then he does such as emulators.
So I will do the cpu upgrade for myself and get him the apu for him, he plays pc games like lego's.
The apu I was looking at was about the cheapest which is priced at 64 or 69.99.
I was looking at what would be better for Dolphin, the apu or the Phenom II X4
But if the apu would be better I would go with the higher clock and pay more money for it.
I know the apu can't be oc'ed like the Phenom II, Thanks for the reply and helping me choose.
Phenom II depending on the clock speed, which model?