Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is it just me?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it just me or does the Windows version work a lot better than the Linux version? I've only really played one game [Skyward Sword] but I'm noticing higher average fps in Windows when compared to Linux [same versioning of the emulator on both on the same computer]. Or is this a combination of DX11 vs OpenGL and ATI has shit support for Linux?
(12-13-2011, 11:46 AM)SquidLord Wrote: [ -> ]Is it just me or does the Windows version work a lot better than the Linux version? I've only really played one game [Skyward Sword] but I'm noticing higher average fps in Windows when compared to Linux [same versioning of the emulator on both on the same computer]. Or is this a combination of DX11 vs OpenGL and ATI has shit support for Linux?

It's a combination of everything probably, in windows OpenGL is the slowest backend of the three with Dx9 being the fastest. The above fact + the bad drivers available for Linux are most to blame according to discussions made here in the forums.
is there any usefull gpu support for linux?

come on just selfanswer that question
(12-13-2011, 12:06 PM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-13-2011, 11:46 AM)SquidLord Wrote: [ -> ]Is it just me or does the Windows version work a lot better than the Linux version? I've only really played one game [Skyward Sword] but I'm noticing higher average fps in Windows when compared to Linux [same versioning of the emulator on both on the same computer]. Or is this a combination of DX11 vs OpenGL and ATI has shit support for Linux?

It's a combination of everything probably, in windows OpenGL is the slowest backend of the three with Dx9 being the fastest. The above fact + the bad drivers available for Linux are most to blame according to discussions made here in the forums.
Thanks for confirming that. God damn, eh, at least I don't HAVE to reboot play a Wii game I suppose.

(12-13-2011, 12:12 PM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]is there any usefull gpu support for linux?

come on just selfanswer that question
Well derp. To be honest, I'm not sure how much the GPU is actually utilized by Dolphin, so I can't really answer that. Now, do I know which GPU make garners better performance in a Linux setup? Yeah, Nvidia. In fact Nvidia does have a good GPU support for Linux if I remember correctly. Of course it doesn't operate as well as the Windows drivers, but it operates pretty damn well.
it operates pretty damn well?

how much steps are needed to run a game flawlessly?
how much steps on windows?

i prefer install, press play
you prefer install... damn not working
wine... not working...
debuggin...
crawling the net after fixes...
not working...
not working...
oh damn... one changed Setting and everything works...
5hours later...
man its buggy...
crawling the net...
1hour later..
its a linux support problem...

i know the pro's/con's of directX/openGL

but the focus of nvidia/ati is windows.. sry guy
i don't support linux
i don't support apple

iam supporting my laziness which is following the stream

(my time playing with lego is 15years ago...)
(your time started with linux or minecraft)

linux is an OS which should run in NOT working environment in an VirtualMaschine to the max
no GPU support via the VM...
no driver problems Wink
Wow, okay. Way to make misconceptions, buddy.

To be honest, you just sound like a troll concerning "Windows vs Linux" and maybe even a bit butthurt that you can't into Linux. Either way, you won't garner a response from me on your next reply; my question was answered and you were of no help.
To further elaborate openGL tends to run much faster in linux than on windows. From what I understand this is mainly because both nvidia and AMD heavily optimize the openGL support in their windows drivers for a few popular professional applications which decreases performance in everything else.

We've seen users report getting better speed on linux than on windows, particularly users that are GPU bottlenecked. We've also seen users report massive speedups in linux by updating their kernel, updating drivers, or changing distros. Dolphins performance in linux appears to be less "reliable" than the windows builds.

Other users have reported massive speedups from switching over from linux to windows. Since we have so few users running dolphin on linux we really don't have the data needed to investigate these things properly.

Also, please do not feed the trolls. It only makes them more active.
(12-13-2011, 02:49 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]To further elaborate openGL tends to run much faster in linux than on windows. From what I understand this is mainly because both nvidia and AMD heavily optimize the openGL support in their windows drivers for a few popular professional applications which decreases performance in everything else.

We've seen users report getting better speed on linux than on windows, particularly users that are GPU bottlenecked. We've also seen users report massive speedups in linux by updating their kernel, updating drivers, or changing distros. Dolphins performance in linux appears to be less "reliable" than the windows builds.

Other users have reported massive speedups from switching over from linux to windows. Since we have so few users running dolphin on linux we really don't have the data needed to investigate these things properly.

Also, please do not feed the trolls. It only makes them more active.
Alright, well that makes sense...kinda. Well, to potentially help further the information pool on Dolphin in Linux. I'm running the latest kernel 3.1.4 [though I see that 3.1.5 is available in Arch's repo's]. I've got the ATI closed source drivers as that worked for my monitors where the open source did not get resolutions or allow the other monitor to be active. And my computer tends to be CPU bottlenecked as I've observed via some testing with multiple setups with the same 5870.

In this case, Skyward Sword runs fine on both, just the Linux version gets a lower average fps and a lower "low fps" in comparison to the Windows version for me.

nflamel

Hey, i have the same processor and i just cant run stable dolphin, i wish i can afford a I-7 but not by now. Soo, thanks in advance if you tell me what settings do you use in Skyward Sword
Thanks