Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How to force 50 Hz with PAL games with not chopping
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

enanno

Hi, I'm newbie and this is my first post, so excuse me if this is not the best place to say what I'm going to say.

I've been using Dolphin for 1 year now, and I'm very glad with it except for the PAL/Eur PAL60 thing. I basically have two issues:

1. My system is using 1280x720 resolution at 60 fps to display movies and etc., but when I use Dolphin, I want it to use 640x480 resolution at 50 fps, specially due to all my games are PAL. The problem is that Dolphin switches to 640x480 resolution at 60 fps, not 50 fps. If I want that framerate, I have to change it manually in my graphic card's control panel. Is using Dolphin 60 fps by default? Could this parameter be changed some way?

2. Even if I manually change my graphic card's settings to 640x480 resolution at 50 fps, I get a "jerky" or "choppy" effect with a few games, for example, New Super Mario Bros and Kirby's Epic Yarn. I've tried enabling/disabling Euro PAL60, limiting framerate to 50fps, or enabling/disabling Vsync... but it doesn't work. It seems that if I enable Euro PAL60, I get a fluid but slower running, but if I disable that mode, I get a jerky but full speed running (still 50 fps). However, games like Donkey Kong Contry Returns or Kirby's Return To Dreamland work perfectly at 50fps with Euro PAL60 disabled, at 100% full speed. I just want to play every game at 50 fps (or 25 fps) with real speed (apart from the typical slow downs in complex scenes, of course). I know it is not absolutely my system specifications' fault, because I have tried to play New Super Mario Bros (still PAL) using 640x480 resolution at 60 fps, enabling Euro PAL60, and it works perfectly (fluid with full speed).... but as I said before, I'd like to play all the games using 640x480 resolution at 50 fps.

Hope somebody can throw some light to my darkness.
Thank you!

you know that there are PAL games that run at 60 and some at 50? its not the fps that matters, just the percentage speed
just play the games at 100% regardless of fps

enanno

(12-08-2011, 03:14 AM)silveruniverse Wrote: [ -> ]you know that there are PAL games that run at 60 and some at 50? its not the fps that matters, just the percentage speed
just play the games at 100% regardless of fps

Thank you very much for your answer, I thought there wasn't going to be any one hahaha
Well... the thing is that for example, NSMB runs at 100% both at 50 Hz and 60 Hz, but at 50 Hz the image gets that "jerky" or choopy effect. So, what's the problem? What if I wouldn't have a PAL/NTSC tv? Huh
So only some games are choppy at 50 fps? It may be related to the monitor.

enanno

(12-08-2011, 06:08 AM)HawaiianPunch Wrote: [ -> ]So only some games are choppy at 50 fps? It may be related to the monitor.

Maybe I haven't explained myself enoughly clear, sorry.

The issue is with a few pal games only. For example DKCR runs smoothly and perfectly at 50 fps with my display at 50 Hz, but NSMBW and Kirby's Epic Yarn are choppy and only run smoothly if I enable PAL60 and set up my display to 60 Hz.

I just want to use 50 Hz with all my games, because they are PAL and that's how they should, because they're supposed to work mainly with PAL televisions (there are still only PAL system televisions in Europe, surely).

Anyway, my display can show 60 Hz, but I need to run my games at 50 Hz because of that precious extra 10 fps I'd lose if I use 60 Hz.
PAL games can be 60Hz, Metroid Prime 2 is a good example (top right of image)

[Image: metroid_prime_2_echoes_backcover_large_w...ZspQUL.jpg]

whether it's 50 or 60 is dependent on not only the region, but the game itself. just play at whatever speed it tries to reach.
if the game itself asks to change from 50Hz to 60Hz (f-zero for example) then set to 50 ingame and not limit it by Dolphin or forcing your screen refresh rate down

enanno

(12-09-2011, 09:28 AM)silveruniverse Wrote: [ -> ]PAL games can be 60Hz, Metroid Prime 2 is a good example (top right of image)

[Image: metroid_prime_2_echoes_backcover_large_w...ZspQUL.jpg]

whether it's 50 or 60 is dependent on not only the region, but the game itself. just play at whatever speed it tries to reach.
if the game itself asks to change from 50Hz to 60Hz (f-zero for example) then set to 50 ingame and not limit it by Dolphin or forcing your screen refresh rate down

Well... That's true, but NSMBW and Kirby run perfectly on my Wii with my TV at 50 Hz, so there must be something wrong with both of games when run in Dolphin. If I don't tick the PAL60 thing and don't set the framerate to 60 Hz, they won't run smoothly on my PC.
i'm running NSMB Wii (PAL) with Dolphin 3.0-141, Frame Limit set to "Auto", Limit by FPS is enabled, monitor resolution at 1920x1080, Dolphin window size at 1000x625 (16:10 aspect ratio):

- Use EuRGB Mode is disabled
- monitor @ 50Hz
result - running fine, Dolphin running at 60fps/100%

- Use EuRGB Mode is disabled
- monitor @ 60Hz

- Use EuRGB Mode is enabled
- monitor @ 50Hz

- Use EuRGB Mode is enabled
- monitor @ 60Hz

try the above settings and see if it makes any difference (Frame Limit set to "Auto", Limit by FPS is enabled)