Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Huge speedup after upgrading to linux kernel 3.1.3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I just upgraded to linux kernel 3.1.3 (from 3.1.2) and noticed an about 30% increase in frame rate (I think this is quite siginificant).
It'd be interesting to hear if that's just random, or if anyone else noticed this, too. I mean, it might be that there was something changed in the kernel which had slowed dolphin down before.

Greetings
Okay, never mind, I could not reproduce this.

What I can confirm however is that "tick frequency" thing mentioned in quite a few bug reports which I read: using a kernel with ticks (not tickless like most newer ones are) and a high CONFIG_HZ value (1000) seems to significantly improve performance (I rebooted like five times now, and the difference was always there).
... it's difficult to distinguish between correlation and causality.
The real reason for the slowdown was cpufreq, which made the cpu run at non-maximum frequency. The cpufreq module didn't load with the new kernel, that's why it was faster there.
Maybe this will be useful for someone out there. Smile
You're right, Turning cpufreq off will makes speedup, I tested in Metroid Other M and result is:

With cpufreq: avg 35FPS
Without cpufreq: avg 40FPS

I wonder why because it's aim to decrease frequency when CPU is idle for power saving and increase frequency to maximum on load. Huh