Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A few questions for someone new to Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Dubnoman

I'm interested in getting into Dolphin. In fact, I just ordered a USB powered Wii sensor bar that can be used for the PC. I'll highlight the most important things I wish to communicate.

A few questions. First, my specs. I think they are good enough for Dolphin. I'd like to get confirmation.

My GPU is a Radeon HD 5750 with DX 11 support and 1 GB memory.
My CPU is a AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition (quad core, 3.2 GHz).
I have 4 GB of DDR 3 RAM (1600).
I'm running Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit.

I intend to hook my PC to my HDTV and play Dolphin games at 720p. My HDTV only goes up to 720p. With my specs, and at 720p, I could probably play games with good AA settings and good AF settings at good frame rates for certain games, right?

Another question I have is Wii Motion Plus emulation. The two games I care most about with Dolphin emulation (at the moment) are Skyward Sword (first and foremost) and Super Mario Galaxy 2. It looks like Dolphin emulates Skyward Sword well on a capable machine. Is that true? I read that WM+ emulation is still being worked on. Could someone play through Skyward Sword for their first time with Dolphin just fine, or are the controls not good enough and would result in too much frustration?

I'd like to play through Skyward Sword for my first time on Dolphin, but if the emulation for it isn't good enough yet, I'll just play it on Wii for the time being.
Your specs are decent, good enough for most Wii games.

Put your Full Screen Resolution to 720p, then head over to the enhancement tab. (Else your games will look crappy)
There increase/decrease your internal resolution to what you like and what is playable.

No, I recommend you to leave AA and AF off.
And it's unneccessary to have those enabled when you can raise your Internal Resolution.

Yes, John Peterson is working on implementing Wiimotion Plus.
There are builds available already for you to try (make sure to check often as it gets updated quickly)
You can find the builds, and a lot of information and experiences by people in this thread.

I wouldn't recommend to play through Skyward Sword with the emulated build on Dolphin.
But if you manage to setup the controls to your liking, by all means, go ahead.