Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Dolphin rig
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(11-26-2011, 01:38 PM)Fennecat Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-25-2011, 06:02 AM)pwnedatdolphin Wrote: [ -> ]sorry, has to be under $800 with an os

Ubuntu is free and comes in 64-bit.

Ubuntu is slow with Dolphin.
(11-26-2011, 01:41 PM)HawaiianPunch Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-26-2011, 01:38 PM)Fennecat Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-25-2011, 06:02 AM)pwnedatdolphin Wrote: [ -> ]sorry, has to be under $800 with an os

Ubuntu is free and comes in 64-bit.

Ubuntu is slow with Dolphin.

You get whatcha pay for.
(And to be fair, less demanding games will run on any environment.)
Will a hackintosh work well?
What do you mean with that?

I already gave you a suggestion.
If you really want to play your game 'intensively', you shouldn't go lower than that.
The graphics card could be lowered a bit though, if you specifically want it for Dolphin.

Ever since the floods in Thailand and other countries, the Harddrive prices have skyrocketed.
It might be wise to wait for them to lower aswell.

Exclude the OS until you can purchase it and use Linux Mint in the meantime.
Well Lion is only $30, but I'll probably wait and get ivy bridge or sandy brdge when ivy comes out cause sandy bridge will be cheap. But how much of a performance hit will linux be?
Well I made a pretty good build on newegg that is $850 with the os, it's a i5 2400 and a radeon hd 6870, pretty good
Oh, and is the hyper 212 evo a good heatsink/fan?
Quote:but I'll probably wait and get ivy bridge or sandy brdge when ivy comes out cause sandy bridge will be cheap

I'm afraid it doesn't work that way. Intel rarely drops prices on older cpus unless they've been out for a few years. Usually they just outright replace their entire lineup with a new lineup.

Quote:But how much of a performance hit will linux be?

Nobody knows. I for one would not recommend using linux for dolphin.

Quote:Well I made a pretty good build on newegg that is $850 with the os, it's a i5 2400 and a radeon hd 6870, pretty good

Drop the video card down to a 6770 and get a 2500K. A 6770 might struggle with some modern PC games at high settings but it's more than enough for dolphin. You can always upgrade the video card next year.

Are you a student at a university? If you are you could take advantage of the student discount for microsoft products. Or you could use windows xp in the meantime.

Or you could wait for HDD prices to come back down like I originally recommended.

Quote:Oh, and is the hyper 212 evo a good heatsink/fan?

It's decent.
I'll probably wait, thanks for all the great advice you guys have given me here
Actually, I could probably get a 2500k and a 6850 at the same price of a 2400 and a 6870. The 6870 I have is $140
A 6850 is more than enough for dolphin. That setup should be fine.
Pages: 1 2