Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Varying speed.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Sidar

Hi,

Currently using Dolphin 3.0-204 dirty. And two updates earlier I noticed far better speed.
I know that with each update it can either do great or come with new bugs.

I myself run an i7-865k @ 2.9 Ghz ( I wish i knew how to overclock it, but I'm scared sh**less for doing so ) with a GTX-460. I've been playing Zelda:Skyward sword for around 18 hours now and mostly with frame drops to 23 fps( i know it's capped at 30 ). And if i'm lucky 27 fps. What just baffles me is how people with similar specs run easily in internal resolution x 4 times. ( and EFB to RAM is a no no for correct rendering)

Two dolphin updates prior to this I was able to run the game smoothly around 29 fps with 2x resolution and 4x AA.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, I never really had any game run optimized. I know that emulation requires a lot of power. But It's weird to see a super smash brother game run smooth on a duo core computer and a GTX250 with the resolution x4. While My system even fails to do that.

Is there anything outside Dolphin that should be configured? I would assume that a GTX460 should atleast run any Wii/Dolphin game in 2x the resolution or at least 3x.

Another weird thing is that when it slows down, I have to use "alt-enter" to switch between fullscreen and windowed mode to get back at a normal framerate, but not even a minute later the frames drop again.

I know Zelda: Skyward sword is new, but it's at least running better than Super Mario Galaxy ( which has major slow downs on my pc).

Do I need to overclock? Is it my Nvidia settings? I'm just stuck.
Just use an older revision if the latest version is running slow. Also check the game .ini files (right click the game in dolphin and go to properties). Sometimes they update the game inis with slower settings intended to produce accurate emulation in games that need them.

You'll be fine if you just overclock. It seems silly to have paid extra for a K edition cpu and not overclock.