Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Twilight Princess - Speed (also version 2 not working)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ChosenOne

Short version: I'm using the latest version of the emulator and the speed is less than 50% (and less than 10fps); can I do something about that?

Since I imagine there isn't an easy answer to that (that I haven't already tried), here's the long version.

I originally downloaded version 2 of the emulator, and was mainly using it to play The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GameCube version). The speed was a mixed bag, varying greatly and apparently depending on how much work the emulator needed to do. In a lot of areas including Hyrule Field, the speed would be on the order of 30% (sometimes less than 20%), and as more of Hyrule Field got unlocked it got slower and slower, eventually 1% or less. But in the main dungeons (Forest Temple, Goron Mines, etc), the speed would go up to 60-70%, and in some particular areas including boss rooms it would go even higher, sometimes in the 90s. And in spots like the save menu or the health warning it would get really really fast, like 500-1000%.

Since the dungeons are where the real action is, I was happy with this, especially once I was able to teleport around the map any time so I didn't have to deal with Hyrule Field anymore.

Then the emulator suddenly stopped working; when I try to open the game it now says "Can't create opengl renderer. You may be missing some required opengl extensions, check the logs for more info." (I have no idea what changed, it seemed arbitrary.) So I downloaded version 3 (this was at the beginning of August). And now while playing the game the speed consistently hangs around the 20-50% range. It's not super slow in big areas, but it's not fast in dungeons either. In dungeons the speed is around 25% and 7fps with no frame skip, and around 35-45% with frame skip 3 (oddly, making the frame skip higher than that doesn't seem to make the "percent speed" go any higher than 45-50%).

Version 3.0-200 says "Fixed the slowdown that occurred under JIT32" (and I do use the 32-bit version), so I was hoping the problem would be fixed, but it doesn't seem to make any difference; the speed is just about the same as it was for the version I dowloaded at the beginning of August.

So, I have two questions. Is there some way I can make version 3 run as fast as version 2 did, at least in areas like dungeons? Or alternatively, how can I make version 2 work again? Again, the error message is "Can't create opengl renderer. You may be missing some required opengl extensions, check the logs for more info."

Thanks! Smile
All of that and you've managed to leave out the most important info, Dolphin settings and PC specs. I still can't imagine how someone can make a thread asking for help and forget to add that info. Anyway, instead of telling you to read the rules and closing your thread, you can post the required info now.