Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptop question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Mylkal

Hey all, new Dolphin user here!

Generic laptop specs question I guess. I'm using Dolphin 3.0 running Twilight Princess in 1280x720 resolution, not full screen, render to main window, and I'm getting around 22-25ish fps, but generally running around 80% gamespeed. My specs for my laptop are:

Intel® Core™ i7 CPU Q720 @ 1.60 GHz 1.60 Ghz
4.00Gb RAM
NVIDIA NVS 3100M - latest driver
Windows 7 64bit

My native res is 1920x1080.

I'm wondering, is this around the fps I should be getting? I've disabled fog, its only at 1x AA, internal resolution is to match the screen res (which is 1280x720, if I change this to a lower one the fps/gamespeed don't really change, but any higher it starts getting slower).

Also, would I have more luck acquiring a gamecube .iso version of Twilight Princess? I only own the Wii one, but I guess theoretically would the gamcebue version run faster on my PC?'

Thanks!
Quote:I'm wondering, is this around the fps I should be getting?

Yes. Your cpu isn't powerful enough (and your gpu is nothing special either no offense).

Quote:Also, would I have more luck acquiring a gamecube .iso version of Twilight Princess? I only own the Wii one, but I guess theoretically would the gamcebue version run faster on my PC?'

A little bit, don't except any miracles though.
(11-18-2011, 10:03 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:I'm wondering, is this around the fps I should be getting?

Yes. Your cpu isn't powerful enough (and your gpu is nothing special either no offense).

Your best shot at coaxing more output from your CPU is to enable 'dual core' and disable 'lock threads to cores'. in the main Config window.

Mylkal

I know they aren't anything special :'( but one can hope right? Haha I mean I guess its currently playable. I don't understand why lowering the internal resolution to native wouldn't help the speed/framerate though??

And the dual core is enabled, but I'll try the lock threads to core. Thanks!
Your fps did not increase when you lowered the IR because your CPU is the bottleneck at that point, when you raise the IR more than your GPU can handle, then your GPU is the bottleneck. Normally overclocking the CPU would help out getting more speed but it's not a good idea with a laptop.

Mylkal

I see. Okay here's a screenshot of my dolphin config. I didn't know for sure what the revision number is, I think it's 3.0. I added a screenshot of the About section of Dolphin.

Thank you for the quick replies guys!

Also, I tried the lock threads to core, but there wasn't any noticeable change. However, I'm just testing this out in the starting area (the town at the very beginning). Depending on where I am in the town, my gamespeed ranges from 55%-99%. Sigh Sad. Is there hope of playing this on my laptop, or will later areas really screw it over? Also, when I'm in grass it tends to slow down sometimes O.o?

http://imgur.com/eemkg
(11-19-2011, 04:27 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Normally overclocking the CPU would help out getting more speed but it's not a good idea with a laptop.

The cooling can be upgraded to accommodate the extra power and clock rate, but the base would have to be enlarged.
Quote:Your best shot at coaxing more output from your CPU is to enable 'dual core' and disable 'lock threads to cores'. in the main Config window.

Actually with that cpu he should definitely have lock threads to cores enabled.

@Mylkal

Your hardware isn't good enough, end of story. If you want to play this game at fullspeed everywhere you need a better computer.