Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Direct3D11 and Anti-Aliasing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

nous13

I've been attempting to get Dolphin configured for Skyward Sword. Multiple people on this forum have posted screen shots of their settings and it is clear that they are using Direct3d11 with anti-aliasing enabled. Whenever I enable Direct3d11 the anti-aliasing option is automatically set to "None" and I am not able to change it. How do I enable both Direct3d11 and anti-aliasing? Thanks.
I suspect that your GPU doesn't support 11. Which one are you using?

nous13

(11-18-2011, 01:43 PM)Fennecat Wrote: [ -> ]I suspect that your GPU doesn't support 11. Which one are you using?

GTX285. I realize that this card isn't compatible with DirectX11, but I didn't realize that this would make Direct3D11 not function properly. I can play games with Direct3D11, I just can enable anti-aliasing.
(11-18-2011, 02:03 PM)nous13 Wrote: [ -> ]I realize that this card isn't compatible with DirectX11, but I didn't realize that this would make Direct3D11 not function properly.

Try using Direct3D9 instead. It tends to be more stable in most games, even with Direct3D11 cards.
Quote:It tends to be more stable

.....since when? Faster? Yes. More compatible? Maybe. More stable? No. The d3d9 and d3d11 backends are both perfectly stable.

Quote:GTX285. I realize that this card isn't compatible with DirectX11, but I didn't realize that this would make Direct3D11 not function properly. I can play games with Direct3D11, I just can enable anti-aliasing.

The d3d11 backend is called that because it uses the d3d11 API. D3d11 is backwards compatible with d3d10.1, d3d10, and sometimes even d3d9c hardware through "feature levels". This allows developers to write software that utilizes d3d11 but still runs on older hardware by switching to a different feature level. The feature levels are designed to disable certain features that are not supported by older hardware in order to provide compatibility with that hardware.

Your hardware is d3d10 complaint so the d3d11 backend will run with the d3d10 feature level. MSAA on offscreen render targets is only supported on d3d10.1 and higher hardware and therefore d3d10.1 and higher feature levels as well. Since you are running with the d3d10 feature level that feature is disabled on your hardware and since dolphin needs this feature to do MSAA dolphin will automatically turn off MSAA to prevent any potential problems.