Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Building a system, how am I doing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

beatnik

Hi there! I'm a complete and utter newb when it comes to computer specs and understanding what will work and what just isn't kosher.

I'm hoping to build a new system with one of it's main purposes being for gaming (Skyrim's just a few days away!), and Dolphin has been something I've had an interest in trying for some time now. Unfortunately, my current system can't handle it at any FPS above, like, 15.

My question is, oh gracious Support forumites, can this new system handle Dolphin emulation? Say I'm hoping for stuff like Brawl, Mario Galaxy 2, and (dare I dream) Skyward Sword to run well. If not in that awesome up-scaling mode, I'd be very very happy with fullscreen and fullspeed.

Any tips or bashings I need over this system?

Processor
(Intel Core i5 2400 Quad Core Processor with Motherboard)
Operating System
(Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-Bit Edition)
Memory
(4 x 2GB = 8GB DDR3-1333 Gaming Grade Memory Module)
Hard Drive
(2TB 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive)
Graphics Card
(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Video Card)
Optical Drive
(24X DVD+/-RW DL Optical Drive)
Other Accessories
(12-in-1 Digital Media Card Reader)
Monitors
(ViewSonic 24" 1080p LCD Widescreen Monitor, (VA2431WM))

Many thanks to anyone who can lend a helping word or several!
Should be fine in most cases. Just keep in mind no matter what system you have there will always be issues and no game runs perfect. As far as Skyward Sword goes, I have a feeling it will work fine but no one has any idea what the speed will be.
I assume you're using newegg and in america? What's your budget?

HDD: What brand? What model?
Graphics card: What board manufacter? What model?
Power supply: You didn't list it.
Chassis: You didn't list it.
Memory: Sorry but the words "gaming grade memory module" make me cringe in pain. It's a marketing tactic that feeds off of the "it's better because it has the word gaming on it" mentality that some people have. Not that this matters since 8GB of DDR3 1333 MHz ram is fine. What brand though?
Motherboard: You didn't list it.
CPU: Good but I would get the i5 2500K and overclock if you can.
Cooling: I'm assuming stock cooling since you didn't list any aftermarket cooling.
CD/DVD: Fine
Monitor: No, stay far away from viewsonic these days.

Are you buying any other special peripherals that we should be aware of? Is this your first homebuilt computer?

beatnik

A lot of the missing information isn't available to me. I'm not using newegg and trying t piece one together, mostly because of my own inexperience. What I'm doing, and I really should have said this in my first post, is using a Walmart.com deal in which you choose parts and pieces and bits and bobs out of lists of different options to build a PC that they then send to you. I know it probably sounds a tad bit sketchy, but the deal is far too good to pass up on at least investigating. What I provided was the basic info of the parts I had selected.

Here's what else I could find by going back and reviewing the choices again rather than making a batch of copypasta out of the quick summary.

HDD - It honestly doesn't give any brand, so I'm assuming it's an in-house kind of deal. There's a model number, which is '811121014261', but I don't think that's what you were looking for.
Graphics Card - It's a 'NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560'. Is NVIDIA the 'board manufacturer' you're asking about?
Chasis - Xion Echo Mid Tower Gaming Case
Memory - Again, there's no brand name to be found. Only a model number, '811121014230'.
Cooling - Whatever is stock, yes. I'm assuming fans.
Monitor - What's the deal with Viewsonic? I only ask because it's a nice sized monitor and I can get it for a steal in this bundle. The other bundle options are an AOC and three different sized Acer monitors.

Thanks for your help, guys, and prompt replies as well!
Quote:Memory - Again, there's no brand name to be found. Only a model number, '811121014230'.

That's not a model number, it might be a product number.

Quote:HDD - It honestly doesn't give any brand, so I'm assuming it's an in-house kind of deal. There's a model number, which is '811121014261', but I don't think that's what you were looking for

Same as above.

Quote:Graphics Card - It's a 'NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560'. Is NVIDIA the 'board manufacturer' you're asking about?

No. That's the GPU brand.

Try giving us links to the parts.

Quote:A lot of the missing information isn't available to me.

Yeah and without any meaningful information I can't give any meaningful advice.

This is why I hate brand name systems, you barely know what's in them. This whole idea seems to be just as bad. Just pick your parts on newegg, tigerdirect, etc. and build it yourself.

Quote: What's the deal with Viewsonic? I only ask because it's a nice sized monitor and I can get it for a steal in this bundle. The other bundle options are an AOC and three different sized Acer monitors.

Bad reputation, bad product reviews, generally inferior hardware, higher defect rates, poor customer support and warranty. Acer isn't great but at least they're a step up from viewsonic.
That looks like a solid build that will run any PC game at great FPS. You should be able to max Skyrim easily.
As for emulating, it's as StarScream said.

The missing information is key here. They usually put crappy brands in those pc's.

Do as NaturalViolence said, and use something like NewEgg(if you're American).
Also, what is your budget? and what does the build at Walmart cost?.
And do you get any warranty with it?