Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Direct X 11 back end.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all my GPU is a Radeon 6970 upgraded to the latest drivers, and using the Direct X 11 back end creates problems on many games, while the frame rates are fine, I believe this is the culprit for what is causing crashes on many games.

I ran into a spot in Xenoblade Chronicles that would crash in the same spot every time, and I decided to mess around with some settings, and the game stopped crashing when I changed the back end from DX11 to DX9 or Open GL.

I have heard many assume that it is a bad rip if the game crashes in the same spot, but I can confirm that isn't always the case.

Perhaps the DX11 back end works better on some different GPUs, and this is one area the Dolphin devs might try to improve on. The graphics look great, but it makes the game unstable. DX9 only looks a tiny bit worse, but it seems more stable. I have yet to see it crash while using DX9, and also the sound glitches were eliminated.
Did you have panic handlers on? What was the exact error you got? If the application crashed instead of the game can we see the exception log?