Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: hardware upgrade didn't do much good (and) what is the best way to upgrade dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I had my old graphics card running Dolphin pretty well on weak configurations. It had some slowdowns now and then, but I was ok with that.

Right now, I'm using a XFX radeon HD 6850 black edition, with 1gb. [that thing is HUGE] I know it's old, but it was powerful enought to make my pc games run perfectly. I expected at least a small improvement, considering Emulators are allways more demanding... I hardly saw any changes. O_o

Is there a way for me to improve the performance of the emulation?
Besides the graphics board, I have an I7 processor with 3.07GHz and 8GB of ram.

-----------------------------

Now the question is, what is the best way to upgrade Dolphin? Should I just overwrite everything, or just some key files?
Your post is kind of all over the place and difficult to understand. I'll try to answer what I can.

Quote:So, I had my old graphics card running Dolphin pretty well on weak configurations. It had some slowdowns now and then, but I was ok with that.

Right now, I'm using a XFX radeon HD 6850 black edition, with 1gb. [that thing is HUGE] I know it's old, but it was powerful enought to make my pc games run perfectly. I expected at least a small improvement, considering Emulators are allways more demanding... I hardly saw any changes. O_o

So wait are you saying you only upgraded the graphics card? What did you upgrade from?

Quote:Is there a way for me to improve the performance of the emulation?

Yes but you haven't told us anything yet so we can't make any recommendations.

Settings?
OS?
Can you overclock?

Quote:Now the question is, what is the best way to upgrade Dolphin?

You can't upgrade dolphin, dolphin is software.

Edit: Oh, I think you meant to say update. Just copy and replace your Wii, GC, GameConfig, and Config folders into the User directory of your new revision.
Oops, sorry for that - I tried to be fast, and went a bit too rushed over things D:

Anyways, yep, I meant update... sorry ^^'' Should I just let it overwrite anything? Settings should be redone then? =p
not that I mind redoing a few settings - I was beaten around by the emulator trying to figure out a resolution problem... until I found out my monitor was the problem.

So, my computer specs were...
i7 950(?) 3.7GHz
8gb RAM
Windows 7 64bits
ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series

and all I did was change the graphics card to...
XFX Radeon HD 6850 Black edition

My current monitor is~
Samsung SyncMaster BX2350 - 23" led display. Connected to the computer via a HDMI to DVI cable. [I'm not sure this helps in any way but...]
Most wii games do not require a very high end graphics card to run well, just a very good cpu. So it's normal that you didnt see much improvement.

However looking at your specs, I'd say you should be able to run just about anything full speed. Any specific games you're having trouble with? or bad fps?

Mario Kart is one of them. Near the start of the race, when the camera goes around your vehicle, there is a small lag. It doesn't really bother me, but other games in general here and there tend to lag when there's way too much things into the screen. [think Metal Slug on PSX/Neo Geo]
We still need to see your settings so we can make sure that you haven't done anything that would severely reduce your performance.