Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Doesn't max out CPU power, still slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I have a question. My computer's performance monitor says that when I'm running Dolphin, I'm not using all of my CPU power. That said, several games can slow down, (Super Paper Mario in 3D mode, Super Smash Bros. Melee, others) even when I lower the resolution. (roughly the same slowdown results)

I have an Intel Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz, 8 gigs of 1033 Mhz DDR2, a 1 gigabyte GeForce GTX 460, and 7 64-bit. I'm using Extremedude2's latest build.

My question is, given that it's not using my full CPU power, is the problem still on my end, or is it that Dolphin still can't handle every game well yet?
dolphin only uses 2 CORES ... so only 50% of your quadcore is used
every day 20times this stupid question

dolphin needs raw cpu power
(10-24-2011, 05:46 AM)dannzen Wrote: [ -> ]dolphin only uses 2 CORES ... so only 50% of your quadcore is used
every day 20times this stupid question

dolphin needs raw cpu power

Performance monitor shows the amount of activity per core. Not one of the cores are maxing out when I'm running Dolphin.
Sorry for double posting, but here's what it looks like.

[Image: 290pzx0.png]

None of the cores are maxing out.
Quote:Performance monitor shows the average amount of activity per core per second.

Fixed that for you. Dolphin can only use two cores at a time but the OS cycles the two main threads between different cores. In other words dolphin "jumps" from core to core. All 4 of your cores are fluctating between 100% load (when dolphin is running on them) and 0% load (when dolphin is not running on them) and task manager shows you an average level of activity usually around 50%. If you check the option "lock threads to cores" in the general configuration that will stop the threads from "jumping" from one core to another so you'll see 2 cores at 100% load and 2 cores at 0% load instead (performance won't change significantly though since it still has the same amount of processing power available to it).
Much appreciated. Thanks for the clarification.