Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Framerate very low, specs very high
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Crazyglue

Ok so here's my problem. Im trying to play zelda twilight princess (wii) and have had almost no issues for the past 15hours of gameplay. However in certain areas of the game (mainly anywhere no enclosed) i go from a solid 30fps to <15. My specs are as follows:

Core i7 950 @3.4ghz
6GB 1333 DDR3
nvidia GTX 560 Ti

Heres the kicker. I can run the game at 1x native or 3x native, and there is no difference in fps. I can enable AA to 9x or have it off, and there is 0 impact on fps. i can even go 3x native + 9x AA and still no impact on fps. anyone have any ideas on what could be going wrong? ill post some screens of my settings.

[Image: XdDu7.png]
Set EFB copy to texture, maybe disable AA. Some areas are still going to be slow, nothing you can do about it.

Crazyglue

(10-23-2011, 08:04 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Set EFB copy to texture, maybe disable AA. Some areas are still going to be slow, nothing you can do about it.

I think i fixed it.... switched from D3D9 to OpenGL, double my FPS can play max settings with 30fps.
wtf?
thats nonsense
What do you mean by "mainly anywhere no enclosed"?

Hyrule fields and faron woods will encounter major slowdowns but using the ZTP hack, older revisions, and efb to texture will all help drastically.

It is odd that openGL would fix it for you since the openGL backend is generally drastically slower than the d3d9 backend. This would make an interesting test, it is well known that the ZTP hack seems to be less effective in recent revisions and hyrule fields/faron woods in generally much slower in recent revisions. Perhaps whatever change caused this is not present in the openGL backend? The openGL backend is likely slower for MOST people who do not have hardware powerful enough to use it.
Once in a while there are games which run better on opengl, I at least experienced two of them : Rune Factory Frontier and Rune Factory Tides of Destiny.
For me openGL is A LOT slower in twilight princess. It literally reduces my performance by 60% in dolphin 3.0. However if his hardware is able to cope with it it might be better for him because it might not have the severe hyrule field (and other large areas) slowdown, but more testing is needed to confirm.
Just tested TP with OpenGL on Dolphin-3.0-183, it is actually as fast as D3D11, I can't test Hyrule Field though since I lost my GC memory card which has the save file location. Sad

DrNegative

(10-24-2011, 03:42 AM)Crazyglue Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2011, 08:04 AM)[SS] Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]Set EFB copy to texture, maybe disable AA. Some areas are still going to be slow, nothing you can do about it.

I think i fixed it.... switched from D3D9 to OpenGL, double my FPS can play max settings with 30fps.

I was having the same problem, no matter what settings or hacks I chose, then after reading your post and switching to OpenGL, it fixed my frame rate issue. I am now holding steady 30 fps at max settings over the 20 fps from my DX9 at moderate setting.

The only issue I am having after switching is a grey, colorless minimap now, but I will accept that for the extra frames.

Q6600 @2.4ghz
4GB 800 DDR2
Nvidia GTX 260